Loving Apollo - C for Catherine

Start from the beginning

It wasn't until a week after when he talked to me again. And by talked I meant grabbed and dragged me by the wrist through the woods.

It was sunny that day. The perfect kind of sunny; it wasn't too hot neither cold. I always thought the Gods made it so especially that day. Like some kind of special force was making sure nothing would go wrong. Everything was perfect, except I was being dragged by the wrist. We jogged past the tall trees, the ray of sunlight warning to farewell and it was as if Cal was chasing the sunset. This was the only day I decided to wear the yellow polka dotted summer dress Mom gave me for my birthday last year and I was already hauling myself. I remember feeling frightened but excited at the same time.

Halfway through, I was already panting. I was never really up to shape. I was always better at eating. And then we reached an opening - a clearing overlooking a cliff. The sun was on its way down and the sky was filled with pink and purple and azure hues. Every crook and crevices of the clouds splattered with its own shade, like a mural. And I found my breath stuck in my throat.

It was the most perfect thing I've ever seen. One of the most intricate memories I've had in my entire life.

"It's an afterglow. It's rare this time of day that's why I wanted to show you." Cal said, coming up behind me. He placed his nose against my head and then took a small whiff. I hoped I still smelled like my raspberry shampoo. His hands found their way onto my arms and instead of the cold ones I was envisaging, they were warm. Big, warm, soft hands.

I took a deep breath in before speaking. "It's wonderful."

And then I turned around to face him, a good three inches left between our faces. Cal had no reaction other than a soft smirk, but I knew it was genuine. Slowly, I took it upon myself to stand on my toes.

"I'm yours." I whispered before placing my lips softly against his. He was right. He told me soon, I was going to be his. This moment was soon. His confidence was richly deserved.

It was the most memorable day of my life. One of the simplest yet fulfilling day that I could never forget. Somehow, being dragged by Catherine right now felt a little like that moment with Cal. It was hard to explain, but there was this familiarity in her hold. The way she suddenly came up to me, bold and sure, and then dragging me away... It was hard not to be reminded of that day.

"Where are we going?" I asked Catherine, slightly catching my breath.

We were jogging at the side of the Prez' house, and then through their back garden, away from the throng of party people and into a darker part of the garden. We stopped at one lamp post and I tried to catch my breath.

Catherine stepped towards me and then placed her hand on my shoulder and then suddenly, I was no longer panting. Like my lungs were magically stuffed with oxygen and I felt fine.

"What did you just do?" I asked warily, taking a step back. "Why are we here Catherine?"

Catherine carefully looked around, and then placed her hands on my arms. "We can't be seen by her."

"By who?" I asked. "What are you talking about?"

This woman was either insane or I was already drunk and hallucinating scenarios that could take me away from that throng of people. I'd be damned if it was the latter.

Catherine glanced around impatiently, like she was waiting for something to happen. Or someone to arrive. Could it be? Was she going to kidnap me? Was she waiting for their white get away van? The thought made my breath get stuck to my throat. I took a couple of wary steps back, eyeing a still pranced Catherine.

"Ariadne," she said, looking at me with a little ease running back to her system. "Have you-"

"Hey guys!" Bryan's voice called out as he appeared from my peripheral view, jogging from the Prez's house with three bottles of beer in his hands. "What are you doing here? I've been looking all over for you!"