The Long Road Home, Chapter 5: Rue de Paradis (Alice)

Start from the beginning

I smiled and leaned down to pick up some of my bags, which lay piled around me on the wharf. Even though I'd left many things back in New York, I had still brought a lot; I couldn't bear to be parted from too many of my clothes. "Well, Perrine, find us a taxi, then, and take me to see your grandmother!" I ordered pleasantly; he snapped a sharp salute and streaked off into the throng of people without a backward glance.

I had arrived. Bienvenue à Paris, Alice...

Little Perrine had been as good as his word.

He'd brought back a taxi and loaded all my bags and trunks into it, even though he was tinier than me-he looked like he was only about ten years old, although I found out later he was twelve. But tiny or not, he worked like a little Trojan, hefting my heavy things without complaint. Then he'd gallantly opened the back door for me to enter the car and slid in next to me, giving directions to the driver and chattering to me alternately in confused English and French. It was quite entertaining: he was an intelligent child, and very willing to please.

I had never really spent much time around human children, and at first I had studied him intently, trying to learn more about him, about children in general. I found it extraordinarily disturbing when the scent of their blood appealed to me; they were so defenseless, so soft and innocent, with their big eyes and wide smiles, totally unaware when they looked at me they were looking at something that could erase their future altogether.

I tried very hard to not think of the burning agony building in my throat with every passing moment as we wound our way through the congested, narrow streets, but it was very difficult, with him sitting next to me in the small car: the heat of his body fairly shimmered off him, and his scent was very compelling, making my mouth fill with venom. I had to open the window and gulp lungfuls of the cold November air, trying to keep myself from going mad.

It seemed an eternity passed before the car finally slid to a stop in front of a four-story stone building. There was a bright green awning over the shining glass doors, and each window was adorned with a boxful of flowers, which somehow still bloomed in the cold. An elegant sign next to the door proclaimed "Pension des Tailleurs," or the Hotel of the Tailors, in gold script, encircled by a depiction of winding thread and needles. I wondered about that.

Perrine let himself out and held the door for me once again, sweeping a grand gesture toward the hotel. "Bienvenue chez moi, Mademoiselle Alice, welcome to my home!" he chirped, smiling his gap-toothed grin.

I glanced about as he unloaded my baggage and bustled it inside. Rue de Paradis was a long, winding road, with nice houses, the streets and sidewalks clean and bright, and I could smell baking bread somewhere, the scent drifting on the brisk breeze. It was a welcome change from the smell of the little boy, if infinitely less appetizing.

"Bienvenue, Mademoiselle, bienvenue! S'il vous plaît, entrez!" Another voice, this time a woman's.

I looked up and saw an older human woman coming toward me; she was withered and soft, like a dried peach, her dark brown eyes bright in her wrinkled face, wispy white hair pulled up into a bun, a grin that matched Perrine's in both its broadness and missing teeth stretching her lips. She held out her arms in welcome. Perrine trailed behind her.

I smiled back at the woman. "Do you speak English?" I asked her. It was easier. Even though I knew my French was better than average now, I hadn't spoken it much, and was a bit shy. I vowed to myself to use my time wisely, and learn as many human languages as I could. I hated feeling ignorant, and I knew my mind could grasp anything quickly.

She nodded. "Yes, a little," she said haltingly, her accent very thick, looking down at Perrine for help. "I am Madame Bruyere, and this is my hotel. You are welcome here, Mademoiselle."