Chapter 16

Chapter 16

I knew that the gamemakers were going to bringing us together soon. I was going to be prepared. I had to be the one who won. I promised Rode. I took the two knifes I had gotten from the old camp and put them next to me. I also had my slingshot and put 5 rocks with it.

I put my head against the tree and fell asleep again. It was light outside. I brushed my fingers through my hair. I haven’t washed in two weeks. I know what my mom would say if I went home like this. “Eww, you stink!” She stated it how it was. Spoke her mind. I think she would have really liked Rode. I spoke his mind too.

I started crying again. I had to stop doing this. The past is the past and I would never be able to change it. I admit, I missed him so much. I really did. I loved him. I never lied once about that. I’m sure he felt the same about me.

If I ever got back to District 5 I promised the first thing I would do was see his family. All he told me was that he had 2 sisters, a brother, and a mom and a dad. My dad left when I was young. My mom only had 1 child because she was only married for a year. The only person I had was a mom and I loved her and everything but she wasn’t that great.

I was nervous for the finale. It had to be really good so they could give the audience a show. Probably something really sadistic like flesh and snow eating zombies. Hopefully something that wasn’t something faster than me.

Speak of the devil because then I saw something run past my bush. It looked like some kind of white cat. Cats were really fast. Crap!

I went out with all of my weapons and my slingshot ready to shoot. Then I saw it. A white mountain cat looking at me. I ran and it chased me. The branches were hitting my face and It hurt so bad. It couldn’t hurt as bad as getting eaten by this animal, though.

I kept running. Starting to get out of breath but didn’t slow down because I knew the consequence of slowing down. I knew where they wanted me to go. They wanted both of us where Rode died. So that Demitria could remember where she killed him and I could remember the torture of watching him die.

When I got to the place the cats stopped like a invisible fence was there. So that we were trapped and if either of us tried to get out we would be eaten. I stopped and I was so out of breath I was scared I might die from that. I saw Demitria approaching the place. And she gave herself no time to catch her breath when she got there.

She immediately jumped on top of me. She got my arms pinned to the ground and was about to take her knife to my face but I got the strength and pushed her over. I got on top of her and brought my knife to her heart but she punched me in the face. I was still on top of her but somehow again she found the strength to push me back. She had me pinned to the ground and I was going to give up but then I remembered her killing Rode and me promising him that I would win. I turned her around and before she had the time to do anything I stabbed her in her heart.

She died instantly and the loudspeaker spoke to me. “Ladies and gentlemen, the winner of the 26th Hunger Games!”