Chapter 5: Stormy Night

Many hours passed and the master worked Steve till he was barely able to stand. He worked him till his arms felt like solid lead, till his legs felt like solid granite, till every muscle and tendon heavily pulsed with exhaustion. His breathing was deep and slow as he laid against the facade of the master's home. He leaned up against the door specifically; letting his arms rest limply at his sides. He had accumulated a thin layer of sweat that coated his entire body, it soaked certain areas of his clothing; near the underarms, crotch and collar bone areas, and made the lad almost glisten.

       The women looked on with interest; who had caught a bit of the boy's training, at the adolescent child. He looked so helpless, so vulnerable and yet, so desirable. If they were to act now, they could easily overpower him in such a state; not that any of them wouldn't regret it after, but when the door cracked open and let the boy fall onto his back, they begrudgingly receded back to their homes; using the male and female villagers that had returned as cover to move through.

        "I suppose that will be enough for today..." proclaimed Delrion, "Go ahead and return to your home, come back tomorrow if you wish to continue your training."

        With not a word more the teacher pushed Steve out from his door way and closed it quickly after. A few moments passed as Steve simply rested on the wooden stairs, merely working up the energy to stand, but he soon did stand up; however meekly, and began a lethargic trot back to his home.

        During this trek where each step felt like a hundred, thunderous clapping tore through the air. Not an ounce of silence could be obtained with and after each clap; which came every ten sub-ticks. The claps sounded like the thunderous roars of ten tigers, warning the intruder that resided at its doorstep. A few of the claps produced visible, jagged streaks of blinding light that caused Steve to flinch each time one perforated the quickly darkening and rather cloudy sky.

        Now that the claps and flashes started to occur, the lad took time to gander up at the rolling fields of blue and white puffy clouds, except, the sight was not what he expected it to be. He expected the few puffy clouds to be dotting a vast sea of blue, but instead found a murky blanket of black and sinister looking clouds. He also took notice that the streaks of lights he could see; which pierced the air before the thunderous claps tore away at the night's silence, spewed from the looming blanket. This was a rather odd sight to the adolescent boy, almost bewildered that such harsh shaped things of light could erupt from clouds; no matter how dark or sinister looking.

        A few moments passed as the claps bombarded the lad's ears and the streaks of light made him dwell in a perpetual state of tension and unease. Steve made a guess that he was about three-fourths of the way to his home. Being wrong had been the norm thus far, so when the adolescent spotted his hovel of a home thirty meters away, he made a rather happy sigh; never so glad to be wrong. But before he took another step forward, a bolt of light larger than any before struck a tree not but seven meters from where he stood--striking a tree with shocking violence. A surge of painful heat shot out and rolled over Steve's body as he was sent flying by the explosive force from the deceptively harmful bolt of light as it split the mighty oak tree down the middle of its trunk. Charred splinters, burnt leaves and singed twigs sprayed outwards in all directions; pelting the prone boy and various other standing trees.

        An aggravating ringing began to pollute his ears; dulling all other sounds to a low drone, and a splitting headache that made his head spin and feel very queer--like he was about to fade to black like the time he fought the iron giant at the village. But, when the thunderous clap followed the flash of light, so too did a numerous amount of plop-plop-plop sounds follow the clap. It was like the claps, only it was the sheer amount of the plops that made them rival the sound of a single clap. When the sounds came, Steve began feeling sticky, wet. It felt odd, like the sensation of being in that blackness before awakening to this world, only it was more irritating to his skin and much more repetitious.