Chapter 4: Training

Steve simply stared speechlessly at the old gueezer, unsure of what to even say, let alone do. The old man gazed the adolescent boy with a scrutinizing, surveying stare. He looked him up and down, taking in and assessing everything about the lad. Strong build, tall height, young, toned... he mulled over considerably.

        "Well? Speak! Or did you just knock on my door to pester me?!" He exclaimed, imposing a bit of fear into Steve.

        Recoiling, the lad hurriedly slunk back and hid fearfully behind the five women. He peeked over their shoulders and kept a shaky line of sight trained on the old man. The women all seemed to face Steve and consoled him with hugs and soft, nurturing words. They themselves had "certain" secret agendas for this lad, but they could never enact such fantasies if he died. So with that, the priestess Barbrita about faced to scowl at the old coot and shake her finger at him.

        "Fore-shame Delrion! How could you do that to your future disciple!" Vilified the priestess.

        The old man gave a visage of tired exasperation as he gave off an exhausted sigh. He was too old for these women's shenanigans; which he knew full well of their sexual fueled motives and intentions. Delrion leaned to the right and let his weight rest against the frame of his door; easing his tired old legs, and pinched the bridge of his nose. After remaining silent and irritated for a few brief seconds, the old man took in a breathe and concluded he was collective enough to keep the conversation going.

        "What exactly do you mean "future disciple" Barbrita?" Pressed the old timer, "You couldn't possibly mean that boy, could you? Look at him, he flinched away and slunk back behind the protection of women! Just from my words at that! How could I possibly train him?!"

        Steve kept a hard gaze locked firm with the old man's wise and time-hardened eyes. In them he saw a spirit who's lived through more than his fair share of events and undergone his own challanges. However, when Delrion locked his sight with the adolescence's steely eyes, he saw potential, possibly more potential than any other student he's trained before. He showed promise, almost a barge full of raw and untapped talent unlike any he has ever had the grace to find before.

        "Delrion, you and I both know that you can train anyone, anyone. Besides, look at the lad for Notch's sake! He has every making, ever aspect of a proud warrior! Not only that, but he will die if you don't train him, you must do it. Please, for us?" Pleaded the villager.

        Delrion kept his surveying eyes locked with the boy for a moment more, before finally regarding the priestess with a defeated look shown in his eyes. He gave off another tired sigh and rubbed his forehead.

        "Very well... I shall take him as a student. But he cannot be babied by any of you, and you all are restricted from meeting with him when I am not around as long as he is my student. Are we clear?" He explained.

        The five women sent a resentful glare the old man's way, but they begrudgingly agreed to the terms. With that, the five women handed the boy off like a mother does to her child for daycare and off they went; fantasizing of what they would do with him after he finished the training. Steve was a bit nervous as he was escorted through the house and he was amazed to find that it was much more than just a living area. He saw royal blue carpeting; against a cobblestone floor, pole mounted dummies that looked like the ones outside, racks that held fake swords, axes, staffs, and various other wooden weaponry. It all looked so grand, yet kept a very noble sense of humility. What could he possibly be wanting to do with me... pondered Steve.

        "I said, HIT the dummy!" Shouted the Master.

        The master sighed in anguish as his newly taken student practically flailed at the practice dummy. He had his flaws and his traits, a trait being that he had at least the strength of five men, but a flaw being that he had no coordination, no real skill in fighting. How he survived a fight with a golem of all things was the largest mystery to be solved. His punches were sluggish and had no style or technique to them, it was like a blind man trying to have a fist fight with a skilled hand-to-hand combat expert. It was so much that the master needed to take a moment to calm himself.