Dirty Laundry and Magazines

Start from the beginning

“Alright. Rule number three. You. Are never. The victim. You are a suspect. An unsuspected suspect.”

I raised my eyebrows. My stomach suddenly grumbled. I interrupted his train of thought, “Are we going to go back inside anytime soon?”

“Shut up,” he growled. “Do you want to die?” he asked, making me think about Chris and his group of football friends. Unless he was threatening me... no. He definitely meant Chris and the others.

I gulped and shook my head, thinking about the time Chris punched me. He just raised his hand at me once and I had a black eye for a good week.

“Good,” Seth said, “Now let's go,” he finished, turning and walking back to the school. He'd look around him every few seconds as if he didn't want to be seen by certain people. There were random guys either walking around or sitting down in the shade eating their lunches.

I stood frozen in my spot for a few seconds. My hopes suddenly soared.

“To get food?” I asked.

“No.”

--

“What in the world-”

“Will you just shut up and hurry up?” Seth called back to me, clearly irritated by my hesitating. He groaned when he saw me just standing there with wandering eyes. He stomped over to me like a child and grabbed me by my arm, pulling me towards the men's locker rooms.

“Wait, I can't go in there!” I called out to him but immediately shut up. Of course I could go in there! I wasn't a girl in this school! Damn it! Seth better not catch on to my slip-up!

He paused mid-stride, “Oh? And why not?”

“Because..” I quickly thought up of an excuse, “Because I don't have gym, that's why!”

Seth only scoffed and shook his head at me.

“That shouldn't stop you from going in there. Are you a man?” he asked, raising an eyebrow at me.

A man? What did that have to do with anything? Was he suspicious of me!? I weighed my options carefully. If I panicked like I did with Dusty, I'd blow my secret a second time. In my short time of attending this school, I learned that boys were not very observant.

Seth narrowed his eyes at me through the silence. He obviously noticed me hesitate.

“Uh.. Yes?”

He wasted no time in rushing me along after I gave him my answer.

“Good. So let's go,” he replied, grabbing my arm again and pulling me into the locker rooms. Seth locked the door then proceeded to look around for a clock. He turned back to me after spotting one. “We have ten minutes, so we have to hurry,” he said, before walking down a row of lockers. He dug around in his pocket until he pulled out a small slip of paper. Glancing down at the paper every few seconds as he walked down the lockers made me conclude that he was looking for a locker number that he had written down.

“Aha,” he sang as he found locker number 546. I looked around us, praying that we wouldn't get caught doing whatever it was Seth planned on doing.

He dropped his backpack on the bench behind us and rummaged through it until he found a thin wire. He unfolded the thin metal and shaped it to fit into the tiny lock that kept the locker shut from us.

“What? Is his Chris' locker?” I questioned as I kept glancing at the clock. Six minutes left before practice was over.

“No, it isn't,” Chris said, finally getting it open. There was a stack of not-so-neatly folded clothes on the bottom with a pair of expensive sneakers on top. A small mirror was hanging off the door of the locker, along with a few magazine cutouts of girls in bikinis. I scrunched up my face at the sight of fake hair, fake boobs and fake tans. Of course guys like this would prefer girls like that.