Dirty Laundry and Magazines

Obnoxious laughter filled my ears as Collin filled all the guys in on what happened this morning.

Logan must have been laughing the most with Collin. Dean honestly looked worried about me but that was in his nature. Drake pulled out his iPod and ear buds, deciding it was time to tune us out.

“It's not that funny,” I tried to reason with them. Would they please shut up? All they're doing is catching everybody's attention to us.

“Yes, it is!” Collin argued.

“You were so obvious,” Dusty laughed, clearly getting over the fact that Chris was going to murder me.

I suddenly felt a pair of hands on my shoulders.

“Hey, Stanley. Let's take a walk,” I heard Seth's familiar voice as he pulled me up and led me out the cafeteria doors. I stumbled over my two feet as Seth dragged me out. He seemed to be in a rush as he pushed me around. “Don't look back,” he ordered, as he grabbed my arm and pulled me out front, to the spot by the tree where he hangs out with the guys. I followed his demands and refused to look behind me.

“Seth, what are you-”

“Shut up.”

I tried to pull away but he wouldn't let go until we got to the tree. He pulled me to the opposite side of the tree so we wouldn't see the entrance. We were hidden by its large trunk and branches so no one could spot us.

“Now. Tell me what you did this morning,” he said, his hands on my shoulders as he faced me. My back was against the tree and poor Seth had to bend over to meet my eyes.

I was silent for a few seconds.

“Wha-? You know, you could have just sat with us. Collin and Dusty were laughing so hard about it the whole school must have heard it by now.”

Seth narrowed his eyes at me.

“There's a reason I'm asking you instead of others for what they heard,” he explained, as if he was talking to a child.

Of course, he didn't want to listen to the rumors. I got it now. He wanted to hear it from me directly, so I gave him the quickest explanation.

“Well.. Chris copied my homework and I changed his answers while he was asleep. Then, in class, he and some other kid got the worst scores and he caught on since I got one of the highest scores..”

Seth groaned, running a hand down his face.

“Okay,” he said, straightening back up. He turned and began pacing back and forth in front of me.

“Alright, rule number one,” he began, holding his finger up as he paced, “If you want to get back at somebody that could kill you, you never make it obvious it was you.” He looked up at me, pausing mid-stride. “Chris knew immediately it was you because you guys share a dorm and he rarely does his homework when he's around his friends.”

I frowned, looking down at my feet. Of course he would have known it was me, anyways. It's Chris! I doubt any of his friends would screw him over like that because he's get kicked off the football team with shitty grades.. and all his friends are on the team!

“Rule number two,” Seth began pacing again, “always have an alibi.”

I watched as Seth thoughtfully stroked his chin, his eyebrows scrunching up as he focused on his next words.

“You were doing your homework, that Chris copied, and you both got different scores. I don't think it's easy to cover that one up.”

I nodded. That was a bit dumb of me. Maybe if Mr.Wyatt didn't praise the perfect scores and laugh at the bad ones during class, I would have gotten away with this.