Chapter 9- The Horn of Gondor

I woke the next morning to the whispers of my Companions. The sun hadn't yet risen, but it seemed as if everyone was awake. Everyone but two certain elves.

My head was on Legolas' chest and his arms were around me. I was warm, content and I never wanted to get up again. I had slept more soundly than I ever have before, even better than I had in Rivendell. My arms were around his torso and his face nuzzled against my hair. He was sleeping soundly and I smiled.

His eyes were closed and a thin smile played across his lips. His long, blonde hair was soft and the scent of the forest was almost overpowering. I caught sight of a shadow standing over us, and I quickly closed my eyes, pretending I was still asleep.

"How did this happen?" I heard Aragorn demand, his figure looming over us.

"Leave them," Boromir hissed. "She was terrified last night and Legolas was merely looking out for her."

"They look so peaceful," Pippin commented.

Aragorn sighed. "Peaceful they may look, but we need to hurry and get back on the river. We need to get an early start." I heard him strap his sword belt on. "Boromir, wake Rayel and the others."

"Give them but a few more moments," Boromir said, stubbornly. "They are exhausted."

In response, Legolas moved and his eyes fluttered open meeting mine. For a moment we just looked at each other, and I knew he was processing what had happened. Slowly, he smiled and whispered, "Good morning."

"Morning," I whispered back.

I rolled off of him and lay on my back, stretching. "Mmhmm," I yawned.

"Good you're awake," Aragorn said, staring down at Legolas and I. His eyes were clouded with confusion and worry. "We need to leave soon."

I closed my eyes again stubbornly refusing to wake up.

"Rayel," my brother scolded.

I opened one eye and frowned. "Yes, atara," I smirked. My brother hated when I called him mother. But he had brought it upon himself today, and he had become more like a mother in the past few days than a brother.

Aragorn chuckled lightly, kneeling down to wake Sam and Frodo.

Legolas was already up, strapping his quiver over his shoulder and holding his bow. "Need a hand?" he looked down at me.

"Yes, thank you," I smiled.

Legolas offered me his hand and I took it as he effortlessly lifted me off the ground and onto my feet. He smiled softly and then whispered, "Remind me to tell you something when we're in the boat."

"What?" I looked at him quizzedly.

He just chuckled, carrying a bundle of blankets down to the boats.

"Someone still needs to wake up Gimli," Boromir pointed out, pouring some water out on our dying fire.

There was a huff and a hurricane of blankets being thrown off as the dwarf shot up straight. "Nobody wakes up a dwarf!" Gimli hissed "Nuh-body!" I laughed at the crazed expression his face and he shot me a furrowed brow. "What are you lookin' at, lass?" he demanded.

I grinned, trying not to laugh. "You make me laugh, Gimli. That is all and thank you for bringing me such a blessing so early in the morning."

His expression softened and he grumbled, "You're welcome, lass."

Breakfast consisted of lembas and some salted pork that Pippin and Gimli had been hiding. I watched Sam, Merry and Frodo lecture Pippin about hiding such a luxury from his friends. I smiled again, turning to my brother.