Chaotic Sanity - part 7

Eli laid on his bed looking up at his ceiling. Deadhand played in the background. He was in deep thought. Something he knew wasn’t a smart idea since he wasn’t on his medication. Sometimes all his thoughts would just race and come out all at once. It often gave him a throbbing headache. Especially now. He had finally kissed Imogen and didn’t know where to go from there. He tried calling Adam but he was too busy with his new girlfriend Katie. Eli didn’t blame him; he did that to Adam when he was with Clare.

“Hey champ, dinner’s ready.” Bullfrog said walking into his room. “You ok?”

“Yeah I’m fine dad.” he faked a smile. Bullfrog looked at him in disbelief. “Ok, I’m…confused.”

“About?” Bullfrog sat down on the bed putting his hands on his knees.

“My emotions…”

“Haven’t you been taking your medication?”

Eli’s eyes grew big. “Of course!” He reached in his pocket pulling out a medicine vile he filled with mints. “I take them regularly.”

“Then what’s—”

“It’s about a girl.”

“Clare?” Eli was confusing Bullfrog.

“No, Imogen.” Eli said putting the mints back in his pocket.

“That cute little brunette you’ve been hanging with?”

“Yeah her.”

“What’s the problem?”

“I think I’m falling for her.”

“I’m still not hearing a problem.” Bullfrog ran his fingers through his hair.

“Dad I’m not good with love. My first girlfriend died and my second girlfriend…”

“Eli, Julia’s death isn’t your fault. The driver hit Julia not you.” Bullfrog put his hand on Eli’s shoulder.

“What about Clare?”

“Is Clare dead?”

“No, she’s dating Jake.”

“Is she happy?”

“She shouldn’t be.”

“But is she?”

“Yes.”

“Then you did your job right.”

Eli looked at his dad confused. “What?”

“A man’s job is to make sure the people they care about are happy, even if it’s not with them.” Bullfrog stood up. “Now you say you like this Imogen girl, she looks like she’s dealt with a few crazies in her day, I’m sure she can handle you.” Eli looked at him and smiled. “Now come on, its pork chops and mashed potatoes downstairs.” Bullfrog left out the room. Eli looked at the vile of mints tossed it on the bed and went downstairs.

____________________

Imogen was at The Dot drinking coffee and doing her homework. It was going on 9:30 but she didn’t want to go home yet. Her parents were arguing so she told them she was going to spend a night over at a friend’s. She was surprised that they didn’t ask for the friends name, number, and address. She had nowhere to go. She could go to Eli’s but that’d be too complicated. She wouldn’t know what to say and she didn’t know exactly where they stood in their relationship. She never had a boyfriend before, and she didn’t have her first kiss until today when she kissed him during her audition. She felt like she was a little kid. Shaking the thoughts from her head she went back to her work.