Chapter 2: The Spy and the Pretty Surprise

Start from the beginning

"Because I don't like talking to people. They make me nervous. And they all think the same thing. 'Who colors the best?' 'Who can color in the lines?' 'What should me and my husband do later?' 'Last night was awesome but I don't think I should screw him again.' It's all annoying!" I had no idea how she knew what people were thinking but it sounded like a curse. "I know I'm not ready to know what sex is and yet, I know most of the things that go on between a man and a woman, a man and a man, and a woman and a woman! I don't need to know yet! I don't want to know yet!" I was sympathetic with her.

"Well, it is your birthday so why don't we get off this depressing topic and go inside so you can open my present?" She looked at me with an awed expression and then nodded at me with a big, bright beautiful smile. When we walked back inside, everyone stopped and gasped at the sight that was me and Sophia walking hand in hand. She had a huge smile on her face. Elizabeth spoke.

"Okay Sophie. Are you ready to open your birthday presents?" She nods. "Who's present do you want to open first?" She pointed to me. "Okay." She gave her my gift. She squealed in delight. I knew she secretly wanted one. We went to the mall once and she was staring at it.

~Past~

I had agreed to babysit Sophia for the week plus the weekend. Lizzy and Christian were going on a cruise and it was for couples only. It was a great opportunity for me to try to bond with her. She is way too shy. I brought her to the mall to get her some new things because her sixth birthday is in five months."So, any toys or clothes that you want? Are you into those kinds of things?" I looked down at her but she wasn't there. I started to panic. I looked around trying to get a handle on the surroundings. I was in the toy section of the target along the second isle. I went back to the first toy isle and found her staring at an easy bake oven.

She looked around a little scared at first until she noticed me. She looked relieved, almost as if she thought I saw her gazing dreamily at the pink machine. I smiled at her and decided to let her pick whatever she wanted as long as she didn't pick up the easy bake. "Come on Sophie. You can pick out whatever you want today. I'm feeling like a spoiled brat today."She grinned at me and we filled up two shopping carts with toys, clothes, two new phones, movies, music, two new laptops, and two new tablets, two pairs of Hello Kitty headphones and phone cases, and two new iPod touches. She giggled as we brought our new stuff to my car. Then we went to the hair salon and got our hair braided as well as to the nail salon to get a manicure and pedicure.

We were going past a pet store that she was gazing intently at. I pulled into the parking lot and we got out. She looked at me with wide eyes. I nodded at her and she smiled again at me. Nobody would ever believe me if I told them. She ran around the store coming to settle with a bunny rabbit with long, floppy ears. "Excellent choice! This bunny really loves honey on celery." She nodded at the store clerk enthusiastically. "So what do you want to name her?" She gave him an exasperated look. He looked at me worriedly.

"She likes the name Honey. Why don't you spell it H-u-n-y? It's unique." She nodded. That was the first time she ever smiled and laughed. I will never forget this day. Also, I am so going to get her that easy bake oven.

~Present~

Sophie came over and hugged me. Then she went to open Jonathan's gift. As she opened it, Jonathan started to bite his bottom lip. It made me think briefly of last night and what he could do with that mouth. I saw Sophie flinch out the corner of my eye. She looked quickly at me and then back at the big box. After she put the bow down, she ripped the paper off and took off the lid and squealed again. She ran up to him and hugged him around his waist. He looked a little shocked but quickly recovered and hugged her back. It went like that for the rest of the present opening ceremony. Now it was cake time. We had dinner first and then we had cake and apple pie.