6. More Optimism

Comincia dall'inizio

Once they're lined up, a small wire exits the machine, and pricks the older man on the neck. It makes several noise, and then draws back, allowing Jorge to step away.

The machine which had tested Jorge is pulled back into the paneling, before the panel turns and allows a duplicate device to exit the panel.
"Next," the intercom lady instructs.

They all take turns, one after the other, being tested of their immunity. Lori goes after Minho, stepping forward and allowing the device to prick her neck. She feels a strange sparking sensation, before the wire removes itself and retracts back into the wall.

The others all get tested, and then the lady addresses them again. "You've all been cleared of VCT and confirmed immune. You do realize the opportunities for your kind are vast here in Denver. But don't advertise it too much out on the streets. Everyone here is healthy and virus-free, but there are many who still don't take kindly to Immunes."

"We're here for a few simple tasks and then we'll be heading out again. Probably in a week or so," Jorge informs. "Hopefully we can keep our little secret a . . . secret."

"What's VCT?" Thomas whispers to Minho.

"You think I know?"
The boys turn to Lori.

She shrugs lightly, "Beats me."

"Viral Contagion Threat," Brenda answers for them all. "But keep it down. Anyone who doesn't that will seem suspicious here."

A loud beep diminishes any form of continued conversation, as the doors before them begin to open at last. Once again, the doors open to show another hallway made of cold metal, and another set of doors.

How many times are we going to have to go through this? Lori asks herself.

"Enter the detector one at a time, please," intercom lady orders. "Mr. Gallaraga first."

Jorge does as he's told, stepping into the small room and allowing the door to close after him.

They're all called through one at a time like before, and like before, Lori follows after Minho.
The room feels even smaller from the inside. A cold air blows in from several directions, before stopping suddenly as a few beeping noises can be heard.

The door in front of her opens and she exits, joining her companions as they wait for Clara and Thomas to exit also.

Once Thomas has left the room, Jorge speaks. "Wasn't so bad, was it, muchacho?"

Lori's first instinct, is that Jorge is referring to Thomas looking terrified throughout that whole ordeal. She couldn't blame him, to be quite honest. Lori, herself, was not entirely sure that they would make it through the security without being called out.

"I kinda liked it," Minho smirks.

Lori and Clara let out small laughs, but the others don't seem entirely in the mood for Minho's version of humor.

"What is this place?" Thomas asks them all. "Who are all these people?"

Lori rotates to look to Jorge and Brenda, who look like Thomas not knowing already had physically hurt them. After a moment though, Brenda's look of confusion fades into one of regret.

"I keep forgetting that you've lost your memories," she responds almost beneath her breath. She waves her arms around her, gesturing to the building. "It's called a mall - basically it runs along the entire wall surrounding the city. It's mainly shops and businesses."

"I've just never seen so many . . . " But Thomas doesn't finish, just nods to a man who seems to be walking straight towards them. To make matter worse, he doesn't seem entirely glad to see the group either.