Chapter Twenty Five: Taking Off the Mask (Part 2)

Start from the beginning

            “Emma, are you doing this to him?” Markus said jokingly.

            “Nah. Ricky’s just always been a pussy,” I shot back, grimacing from the taste of foul words in my mouth. I was not one to usually say the word ‘pussy’.

            Markus and Brennan busted out laughing, rocking precariously back and forth on their Jet Ski. Ricky flexed his muscles in a defensive way and his face soured. He glared down at me and with one hard jab; he shoved me off the Jet Ski and into the water. There was no humor when he pushed me into the lake like before. I frantically bobbed to the surface, gasping for air.

            “What was that for?!” I shouted.

            Markus jumped into the water, pulling me to him. I scrambled to get away from his grabby hands, but he held me tight.

            “I have a boyfriend, you know,” I hissed.

            “Just trying to keep you from drowning, kid,” he laughed heartily.

            I let Markus lift me out of the water and dump me onto Brennan’s Jet Ski. He lifted himself up effortlessly and scooted in, squishing me into Brennan’s back. Boy, was this uncomfortable.

            “Wait, I don’t want to be-,” I was cut off by Brennan’s tittering.

            “Looks like your sister wants to join us!”

            Ricky was completely enraged now. He revved his engine and glowered at the three of us.

            “I’ll be at the party,” he muttered and sped off, leaving me with Brennan and Markus.

            “I guess you’re hanging with us for the rest of the day, kid!” Markus laughed, hugging me tightly. I sat rigid.

            “Where do you want to go? We’ll take you anywhere,” Brennan inched us forward.

            “Take me back to the lake house,” I said through gritted teeth. Ricky would have hell to pay for this.

            “You got it!” Brennan accepted, surprisingly without a fight.

            We blasted forward, but in the complete opposite direction of the Stephens’ lake house. I had no choice but to grab onto Brennan’s body, because if I didn’t, I’d fly off. I could hear Markus’ laugh over the wind and he smashed me even closer to Brennan.

            “Look’s like we’re running on empty!” Brennan shouted, suddenly taking a left. We sped towards what looked to be a marina. “I’m going to stop for gas!”

            Brennan drove us to the dock and we came to a stop. He hopped off and headed for the gas station on top of a grassy hill.

            “Be right back! Markus, don’t let Emma try and make a run for it!” he shouted.

            “Ay ay, cap’n!” Markus responded, hoisting him and me up to the dock. I stood on the wood, wanting to kiss the ground. I was so glad to be off that crazy Jet Ski…for now.

            “You’re really hot for a sophomore, you know,” Markus commented, racking my body with his eyes.

            “And you’re really annoying for a senior.”

            He chuckled, unharmed. “Hey, don’t hate on the black guy.”

            I couldn’t help but smile. “You’re really going to pull the racist card?”