it wasn't me (work in progress)

this is my attempt at Dark! Ryan. So yahh.

MIGHT be a full fic. idek

___

The first time Sean saw Ryan Higa was lunchtime on a Monday.

 He thought, He looks lonely, because Ryan was sitting on a bench on his own, legs swinging, looking down. So Sean went, despite his friends' shocked and solemn and warning faces, and sat down beside the older boy and asked, "Why are you alone?"

 "Nobody likes me," Ryan said, sounding nonchalant, uncaring.

 "Can  sit with you?"

"Yeah. Okay," lifeless words, expressionless face, dead eyes. He gives Sean an empty, haunting little smile that sends chills up his spine.

"You don't have friends?" Sean asks, and once again Ryan says, "Nobody likes me." Sean nods amd smiles, friendly, and says, "I'll be your friend, then."

Ryan just shrugs.

.

The next time Sean sees Ryan Higa is art class on a Friday.

The teacher barks out nonsensical instructions, "Pour your heart out on the canvas! Paint your emotions!" And it doesn't make any sense to Sean. He's never understood emotions and art that greatly, and therefore he has no idea what to do.

Ryan is painting quietly, dipping his brush into the paint every now and then, and when Sean sees it, it's a mess of dark colors, blue and black and red and violet, a swirl of emotions and it looks so alive, yet so dead at the same time.

Ryan dips his brush into the red and paints again- frantic upward and downward strokes, violent and desperate until there's nothing but bloody red on the canvas.

Ryan sees him looking and smiles, "Fruit punch," and laughs.

It haunts Sean for days.

.

The first time Sean invites Ryan for lunch is on a Monday again. His friends give him shocked looks and whisper among themselves, but they nod and tolerate him.

 Ryan plays with his lunch, mutters inside jokes with himself every once in a while, and sweeps his eyes over them coldly. Calculatedly. His eyes narrow. Sean doesn't notice.

 He starts a conversation, and they all participate.

 .

The first time they hold an actual conversation alone is on a Wednesday. Ryan and Sean talk about pets. He asks Ryan if he's ever had pets. Ryan says replies with a no, with a kind of shielded look in his eyes. "Pets are too hard to manage," he says, and he speaks as if there's some sort of double meaning, "Stuffed animals are easier."

.

 The next time Sean brings Ryan along for lunch- they're practically kind of almost best friends now- his friends inch farther away. Ryan looks at them with the same expression again at times, before going back to his and Sean's conversation.

.

 The first time Sean is in Ryan's house it's deathly quiet. Ryan refuses to show Sean his room, instead they hang out and watch TV. When Kyle Higa comes in the house he looks surprised, and then he smiles and says, "Thank you."

 Sean asks, "Why?"

 Ryan gives Kyle a look and says, "Don't listen to him," and grabs Sean's hand.

 .

 The first time it happens is when Sean's friends start giving him the cold shoulder.

 They say, "Don't talk to us," and "Go away," and Sean is left hurt and sad. Ryan's eyes flash.

 The next day his friends don't go to school.

 Or the day after that.

 A few days later there's a news report of three people from Sean's school who were attacked after classes.

 "Karma, I guess," Ryan says when Sean tells him about it, with an innocent shrug and an innocent little smile.