"And I bet most of it will be scripted. I bet Zion will have some officials writing down my every speech. I may have won their respect, but not their trust."

"You have won Zion's trust," Elijah points out, taking me for a dip as I feel gravity pull at me. Gravity trying to pull me down and back to the life of someone low. Elijah pulls me back up as the dance becomes a slower waltz, making me happy as the heels ache still. "And believe me, he will let you speak freely, unless you screw up."

As the dance comes to an end, Elijah walks me back over to Zion, parting as I watch Zelda pull him off to the floor for a dance. I do believe, that our of everyone here in the palace, Elijah is my only friend. Penelope? I'm still undecided upon. Keva? I have no clue in the world what she is to me, but I know she doesn't want to become friends, nor enemies. Keva wants to help, and I guess I've done her an injustice by accepting Zion's proposal. A big one at that too.

"I think it's time for the last toast," Zion states as I regain my position beside him, an arm around my waist. "Short and simple, or-

"Short and simple, my heels are killing me and I bet some people need to get home before they turn out too drunk to walk," I reply, motioning towards a small group of Lords by the alcohol as they laugh and do impersonation. Zion chuckles, agreeing with me as one of the guards rushes over to him, handing him another glass of champagne as I am given one as well.

As multiple people see this, they pause what they are going and footmen rush around handing out glasses for the last toast.

As Zion begins to speak, something catches my eyes. A woman stands by the archway of the garden, far in the back, hidden from everyone else. She's in gold again, her signature color, those eyes watching me with a presence that makes me shudder.

The glasses are raised as I raise mine as well, focused on the woman as she remains still and unseen. As the taste of the alcohol fills my mouth like everyone else's, I each as she disappears into those flakes of gold within a second. She's gone once more.

And she knows the secret. The secret of my to-be marriage to a man she has warned me of.

As the time passes bye, people begin to depart from the palace or just the room in general, laughter still happening. I'm escorted by Zion down the familiar hall, the silence between the two of us making me wonder if it is out of sheer tiredness, or something else? "Great party," I comment, killing the silence as Zion takes a left turn. I follow in pursuit as the familiar bookshelf comes to sight, Zion opening up the door as I'm let in. "Does the Senate go back in session tomorrow?"

Thankfully he answers this one, letting no silence be present. "We do, at eight to let some people kill off the buzz of alcohol. Potions will be delivered to help as well." I nod, walking down the hallway as my door nears. "You will be there tomorrow, to help with the rogue ordeal."

"I'll be there," I respond, grabbing ahold of my doorknob. Just as I turn the knob, I'm spun around, pulled forward into a hard chest. With my ear pressed against his chest, I listen to the King's heartbeat, one that makes me think that although he seems like someone who would never die, who holds all of this authority, who seems unbreakable, this one organ is his weakness. No, not because of some cliché love drama, but because it's a kill spot. It lets me know he is as vulnerable as me when it comes to the heart.

Zion steps away, taking my arm as I'm led further down the hall, right to the massive oak doors. As they open, I get another peek at the massive and dark room. Just like before, the room is one massive chamber, the four poster bed in the center with a deep crimson duvet, the curtains pulled shut, the fireplace crackling, and the room feeling like an isolated tomb.

Zion |✔️ {featured on Wattpad Talent Scouts}जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें