Family Comes First [Part 1]

Start from the beginning

"Sarah! Stop!" Aakifah screamed, as Sarah ran into the elevator with an old couple. My mouth opened in shock. The elevator was closing and we were too far. Some girl suddenly pressed the elevator button getting it to open as we ran to it. "We're so, so, so sorry!" Aakifah said as I grabbed Sarah, and gave an apologetic smile. The girl looked like she was about twelve years old, and was so sweet. She left right after grinning at Sarah. Sarah, on the other hand, was clueless. 

"You're done!" I spoke in Arabic with anger. There were only a couple of times I spoke in Arabic- when I was mad, sorry or trying to speak behind someone's back. At this point I was mad. Aakifah turned to Sarah. 

"When are you ever going to grow up?" She asked, kneeling down to pull Sarah's pants up. Sarah just shook her head and frowned, not understanding why were we angry at her. I held onto her hand and grabbed her to the children's clothing store to the right. In the end I was tired of bending low to hold her hand. I put her in the stroller and she began crying. 

"What do you want then?" I asked, tired.

"Hug!" She screamed. I looked around embarrassed. I picked her up and found that she was really light. 

"Sarah, it doesn't feel like you gained any weight. How come you look like it though?" I asked, as I kissed her on her white puffy cheecks. 

In the end we brought her a violet dress with black sparkles covering big bows all over the dress. I brought her tights too with the extra money we had after buying her a pair of super small black boots. She looked adorable when she tried on her dress. Her flubber wasn't even sticking out which was surprising. 

When we went back to the girls dormitory, we took Sarah and gave her a nice small bath. It was funny how my parents actually trusted us with Sarah for a day. They usually thought we hated her because she would always cry whenever she was with us. Well with Aakifah she was a little quiet. Only a little. I was still wondering how Subhee got her to do everything she hated - being quiet and lovable. Yes, I still raise my eyebrows to that... ten times a day I guess. 

"So what time do we go?" I asked, as I slid into my abaya.

"Six O'clock." Aakifah said blow drying Sarah's hair. I took my black heel boots and put them on. Okay fine, I struggled to put them on, but then I found out there was something in it.

"A...kifah..." I said, getting a little scared that it might be a rat.

"Yes, Samaar?" Aakifah said as she started parting Sarah's hair without looking up.

"I think there's a rat in my shoe!" I screamed. She stopped styling Sarah's hair and turned scared too. Now this was a problem with two girls living alone - they hated rats, insects and raccoons especially. There's no brave person in this household...

Then she started laughing. And so did Sarah, following her big sister's lead. "It's not a rat. You can trust us on that." She said as she stopped laughing.

"Oh, Oka... Wait. What?" I asked. "How would you know?" I asked confused. Did she put something in on purpose? Or is it just me?

"Check." She said as she got back to styling Sarah's hair. I reached into my boot and took out a fuzzy lime green ball out of the boot. What? Why would they put this in my boot? I looked at them in confusion. Then I felt something at the side of the ball. It was a zipper. When I opened it I found a bracelet in it. It was a pretty bracelet with mint green diamonds on it.

"I know you don't like celebrating birthdays but your birthday is tomorrow. So technically me and Sarah are not celebrating tomorrow, but today. That's why I took you to the mall today. You liked it so I picked it up and brought it." She said with a smile. "And, and Sarah pitched in too... with her love slash hatred for you."