Seven: "Not an Idiot"

Start from the beginning

"You've a bit of a temper, haven't you?" I laugh, struggling to my feet and then immediately getting knocked down again by a second flurry of spells. "Let me speak, dang it!" I roar, flying towards my attackers and blasting them all with a spell that encases them in an inescapable see-through bubble. I let out a long, slow breath and let my eyes fall closed. "Now then!" I say, my eyes flying open. "Let's have a civil chat, shall we?"

"Missed one," says the lead Mage, who has somehow dodged my attack. He points a hand at Brice, who squeaks where he floats. "Release them and surrender, or I will hurt your friend."

"Define hurt."

"I will tear him apart."

"Ah." I wave a hand behind my back so that he can't see. "And what happens once I surrender?"

"You come with us. Since we don't have a load of citizens to bring back with us, we will bring you instead. You will stay in a prisoner's cell in one of the most powerful Dark forts. We will torture you until you have no other choice but to either step out of the war or help us."

Brice's eyes go wide, and he frantically shakes his head.

"I can't let you get hurt," I say dramatically.

Slowly, I lower my hands and head. The bubble around the Mages disappears.

The lead Mage laughs and shoots a spell at Brice.

It bounces off, because "I'm not an idiot!" I laugh almost hysterically, leaning over and clutching my stomach. "Ah, but you folks sure are. He's protected. I'm protecting him. However, you can go ahead and escort me to this 'most powerful Mage fort.' I'd like to see it."

"You-"

"I won't make a fuss, I promise! Brice will come with us, of course. He will not leave my sight. If, at any point and for any reason, he does, then I will promptly blow up the whole lot of you."

"This seems risky," one of the Mages says nervously.

The lead Mage, who seems to be a bit of an idiot, laughs loudly. "Nonsense! This is the chance of a lifetime! Boys, tie up the sorcerer's friend."

"Tie up? Oh, no, that's hardly necessary. Brice will be good, won't you, Brice?"

"Y-Yes," he squeaks, slowly lowering himself to the ground.

"Well, there you have it. Now, Brice will walk either in front of me or next to me, but never behind me, and if I see any of you gentlemen harming him, disciplinary measures will be taken, as I mentioned before. Understood?" I ask, holding out my hands for them to tie.

"We will... allow you this one luxury. But that's all!" the lead Mage splutters.

"Lovely, I do appreciate your hospitality. Say, while you're at it with the whole hospitality deal, could you get me an ice cold water?"

"You sure do push your luck," Brice says quietly, and I laugh.

"Only because I can afford to."

"Tie up the sorcerer!" the lead Mage shouts angrily.

I tilt my head slightly as they yank my arms roughly forward and bind them together with magic. "Yikes. All right, then. Excuse me, but while we're conversing, may I ask why there are no female Mages in this group? I know of some very powerful women in this area who could certainly put up an interesting fight against me."

The Mage binding me yanks me forward again, and I grit my teeth as I fall to my knees in the dirt. "We're far stronger than them."

"Wow. You really are going back a few thousand centuries." I roll my eyes and look up at them. "We're past that, buddy."