Twelve: "Tainted"

Start from the beginning

"Ah, here's an empty one!" I exclaim, peeking through the door-window-bars of one of the cells. "I assume it's mine?"

"Actually, yours is the one next to it," the violent Light Mage says snootily.

"Oh? Odd, seeing as the cells on either side of this one are full, and I don't believe you'd encourage any camaraderie between an inmate and the fabled Dark Sorcerer."

The Light Mage blushes and opens the door of the empty cell, and I smirk as I step inside. "I see. Have a nice day, then!"

He grumbles as he slams the door shut and locks it. "We'll decide what to do with you after the war."

"Sounds lovely! Ah, while you're at it, could you fetch me some coffee? Yes, put it on my tab."

The Light Mages glare at me before walking away, and I roll my eyes as I turn around to examine the cell. It is, of course, equipped with an enchantment to prevent any type of magic from damaging or reaching past the walls, ceiling, and floor. Granted, I could easily get around this if I wanted to.

Unfortunately, I don't want to.

So I sit down on the cot in the corner of the room and I try to keep my thoughts from wandering to Brice but they wander anyways, and so I decide to get high.

☼☼☼

It's been three days, and I am high as crap.

The halls are dark, but my cell is not. It's constantly lit up by my dark purple magic, which gives off a weak light that seems much stronger when used on repeat.

I'm high, higher maybe than I've ever been, and I keep casting the spells, keep casting them, keep casting them because I can't stop, don't want to stop because I can't handle the epic crash that will follow.

"S-Seto?"

I raise an eyebrow. Would any of these criminals know my name? I mean, those who remember my days as a light sorcerer certainly must recall my name, but who would dare call me that today?

"Oh. Duh. Yours is the one that's practically glowing, super obvious." A face peeks through the barred window of my cell. "Where are the keys? I'll go get them. Seto?"

"Ayyyy, you're that kid, the traitor one! Pfft, I'm not helping you – you're not helping me! I'm just fiiiine on my own!"

Brice frowns. "Are you high?"

"Higher than the Light Mages' collective ego," I giggle.

"What the crap, Seto!?" he whisper-shouts.

I shrug, grinning still. "Got nothing else to do."

"Um, you could escape, maybe!" Brice huffs, glaring at me through the bars.

"Yes, I could," I reply seriously. "I could obliterate this entire place." I grin again. "But I don't wanna. So I won't. I mean, look around! It's greeeat here, no weird wars going on in my personal space, no obnoxious, traitorous kids tagging along behind me like friggin' puppies, it's great!"

Brice bites his lip. "Come on, Seto, we- The Light Mages need you, they're losing the war-"

I snort. "Too bad, so sad, cry me a river. I'm not your secret weapon."

"I- Seto, I know, and you have to understand that you're worth so much more to me than that, but the Dark Mages are a battle away from winning, and, please, we need your help!" Brice begs, grabbing one of the bars.

"Mmmmmm, not my puh-roblem!"

He bites his lip. "Seto, please."

"Noooooope. Gloria!" A Dark butterfly appears in front of me and flies right into Brice's face, and I laugh as he wrinkles his nose.