Chapter One

As soon as I turned eighteen I thought that there would be some transformation. I felt like since I was entering my adulthood stage that I'd feel different, maybe I'd feel happy. I was wrong. Nothing changed. I woke up on my eighteenth birthday, still stuck in my parents house, in the same room I grew up in. I was beginning to wonder if my life would ever change?

Perhaps not.

I'd be stuck with my boring job at the local Starbucks, serving coffee to arrogant snotty customers. Well, at least I picked up on ways how to make good coffee.

So, my birthday was today. I had to work which sucked, but I knew that as soon as I got home it would suck even more. Birthdays were supposed to be happy and exciting but mine? It would be crap- Apart from the cake!

Here in England, most eighteen year old's go out, party, get drunk and wake up with the most horrifying hangover. Me? I'd come home from work, open a few cards and presents then go to bed. Exciting huh? Well to me, it was the perfect birthday.

I didn't have many friends. Well, I don't have any friends...At all. For most of my life I've been a loner. Honestly? I'm too afraid of getting close to anyone, they'll only leave me. I didn't want that kind of pain in my life, so the only people I spoke to were my boss, mum and dad. Oh, and don't forget those snotty ass customers!

I wasn't always a loner you know. I did have one friend when I was six. We were best friends. Even at that age our friendship was so strong, nothing could break us apart. So we thought.

He died and my world flipped upside down. His name was Jason.

After his death, I didn't speak. My mother said that I would just sit on the sofa and stare outside blankly. She said not one word came out of my mouth, until a year after. She said she was relieved but still worried for me because I didn't smile. I don't smile much now, either.

Thinking about Jason's death was very painful, it makes me wonder if we'd still be friends now if he was alive. It makes me wonder that if he was alive...What would he look like?  Would he still be that annoying kid who'd do anything for me? For example, if I wanted that cookie he'd go and get me that cookie. What can I say? We were kids.

That's enough about Jason. I don't really speak about him now. I don't speak about his death. It just seemed to make life harder.

So there we have it, Ashley...The girl with no friends, the girl who's going no where... the girl who's clinging onto a pathetic excuse for a life.

I walked into my house from a tiring day at work. No one cared that it was my birthday, probably because I didn't speak to them and tell them, if you don't say anything how are they supposed to know? 

"Happy birthday hunny!" My mother said cheerfully, sitting in the living room with a eighteen balloon next to her, a card and present in hand. 

I took my shoes off and dragged myself to the living room, sitting next to her and quietly thanking her for the gift. 

"What are you going to do for your birthday? I was thinking we could go out for a nice meal. You, me, your dad...It'd be nice" She smiled and I sighed.

"I'm tired, mum. I just want to go to bed" I slowly opened the card, afraid to look at the dissapointment on her face. The card was white with two balloons in it which had '18' in both. Honestly, it was a boring card but it was the only card I was getting. I opened it up and a twenty pound note fell out of it, "Thanks" I gave her a smile and put the card down, taking the money and stuffing it into my pocket. 

Next was the present. I ripped the wrapping paper off and held the box which held an 'eighteen' key. I knew I'd get one of these, it's supposed to be the key to life or something.

"Sorry it's not much hunny, we didn't know what to get you...You don't tell us"

"No mum, it's fine. I love it" I lied. A key to life?  I needed one.

"How about you sleep, maybe when you wake up you'll be hungry then we can go out for that meal" She smiled picking up the rubbish and walking to the kitchen. I felt sorry for mum, I didn't mean to blank her. I just...I wasn't good at speaking to people.

I picked the card up and the key walking towards my room. I felt like I was a let down as a child, I wasn't the perfect one they wanted me to be and it hurt. I just wanted to make them happy but I didn't know how without making myself uncomfortable.

I frowned and opened my bedroom door, walking in head down. I just needed to sleep, after I slept I needed to force myself to go to dinner with them. Then I could think about ways to become a better child. Without needing friends or a boyfriend. It was the least I could do.

"Hello" I deep voice came from the back of my room. I froze, dropping my present and card. I slowly looked up to see a guy relaxing on my bed. I've never seen him before, my mum wouldn't pull off something like this so I don't know how he got into my room...And that terrified me. "Happy birthday, Ashley" He smiled, "Surprise!"