Episode 17.1 ~ Robin

Tomato sauce, melted cheese, and pizza crust fill my mouth with ooey-gooey yumminess. Everyone is at Betty's for one of her dinners. Frank dropped off a pizza for me, and Jason volunteered to help me eat it. I spent the day writing my story and blogging. The book is done — on my end at least — and set for release on April 5th. Down here at rock-bottom, not having the book weighing on me is a step up.

"Your uncle makes the best pizza," Jason comments from his side of the couch as he adds a second slice to his plate.The Walking Dead DVD plays in the background. I think I'm starting to relate to Rick too much — just survive, deal with all the loss later. 

"Second best," I correct. 

Jason raises a brow, his mouth too full to speak.

"There are two things that make a good pizza." I hold up two greasy fingers. "Sauce and crust. The sauce is superb. Probably the best I've ever tasted." I take another bite and speak though I haven't finished chewing. "But the crust..." Swallow "...slightly too thin to be the best I've ever tasted. You see, the dough needs to be part of the pizza not just carrying it, which—what?"

Jason's smiling too wide and goofy to ignore. "I have a proposal to make."

"Ut-oh." 

"You'll like it." 

I raise a brow taking another bite of my pizza. 

"Would you be willing to teach Teddy how to make your bagels?"

Swallow. "I already have." 

"The other bagels," he says without flinching, so he must know of my previous involvement in Teddy's education. "Blueberry, cinnamon swirl..."

"You hate those bagels."

"I hated feeling like I was letting my grandfather down. The bagels were good. The customers loved them. I think Granddad would too."

My mouth is hanging open by the end of his statement. "Who are you and what have you done with Jason?"

"I'm serious."

"So am I."

Jason frowns. 

"You're sure?"

"I've just been waiting for the right time to ask."

"Okay." 

"You're still fine with being up at three?"

I shrug, sliding a second slice onto my plate. "It's not like I'm sleeping." 

Jason lowers his plate to his lap. "How are you doing — really?"

I shrug again, but I know I'm going to tell him. I do that lately. Spew my guts to my ex-nemesis. "I can't move forward or even backward with John hanging around, but he won't go. Every day he becomes less and less the guy that I've loved for fifteen years."

"That is a bad thing...?"

"Worse than losing him to Hannah. At least I'd know he was still him, or who I thought he was. At least I'd still know my friend exists and hasn't been a figment of my imagination...you know?"

Jason reaches over and takes my hand, squeezing it. "Yeah. I do." 

***

Megs, Leah, Miriam, and Teddy arrive as Jason and I are finishing our third episode of zombie goodness.

Megs doesn't say a word or even take her coat off. She just stomps past us to her room and slams the door. 

"Martin?" Jason guesses, already on his feet.