Chapter 14

*Jason POV*

I look around the room awkwardly at Lyds and Eleanor. My gaze then turns to Noah, who is refusing to make eye contact with any of us. I open my mouth in an attempt to break the deafening silence, but the tension in the room stops me. I look at Lyds, who catches my eye, and I give her a look that says ‘go for it’. Her facial expression relaxes, as she walks over to the bed, and hugs Eleanor tightly. Eleanor returns the hug, her eyes closing with comfort. I see Noah behind them, unsure what to do.

“Um, I need to… uh… get a drink” Noah says, standing up from the bed. “Jason, why don’t you help me?”

Can I help you get a drink? Could you be anymore awkward Noah?

“Yeah, sure” I answer, walking out of the door as casually as possible. Noah quickly follows behind me, rushing to close the door.

“Well… that was awkward” he says, looking from the floor to me.

“Are you sure it wasn’t you?”

“Harsh man” Noah answers. We both look at the door simultaneously; curious of what is happening on the other side.

“What do think they’re saying?” I ask.

“I don’t know. But it’s gone really quiet. Do you even think they’re talking?”

We both look at each other again, before leaning towards the door, putting our ears against the hard wood.

“I’m sorry too” Eleanor whispers, sniffing. “I didn’t mean a word of what I said”

“But it’s true though. I am insensitive and…”

“No. you’re not. You’re really not. And I also wanted to say that I’m sorry for not supporting you. If you want to enrol in the army, I have your back”

Lydia. Joining the army? You are kidding right?

“Join the army? Are you serious? Why on earth would you think I want to enrol in the army?” Lydia whispers, laughing softly.

“I heard you talking about it, and I just assumed…” Els trails off.

“Do you mean when I was on the phone with Ella? That was why you were upset? Els, I meant it as a last resort”

“Last resort for what…? Oh, you mean that

“Yeah. That

“I thought we were over this”

“Well, I’m obviously not”

“Ok, ok, I get it. I don’t think it’s the best idea, but, if that’s what you want to do, I have your back”

“You do?”

“Yeah, you and Ella are my best friends”

I lift my head off the door smiling. That is what you call a strong friendship. But I wonder what they meant when the said ‘that’? I look over at Noah, who’s grinning like a lunatic. He turns to face me, and mouths: ‘That is so sweet’

I chuckle, and I place my head back on the door.

“Do you know what I just realised?” Lyds asks, gasping.

“What?”

“We’re in Noah’s room. Just the two of us”

Just the two of us? What does that mean? Is something dirty going to happen here?

 “Oh my gosh, that’s right! Do you know what that means?”

“Yeah. Let’s be quick, we don’t want Noah and Jason finding out about us”