Chapter XXIV

Depuis le début

"It better be—I spent hours perfecting it," Sheila said, shooing us to the dining room. "Now go sit—table's already set. Your father's probably sneaking food as we speak."

The atmosphere was friendly, welcome—as it always was with guests. Michael and Sheila were generous hosts, and everyone always enjoyed their time at events hosted by the Reyes household.

"So, Jordan," Michael started, forking a small potato into his plate, "I understand you're the graduating valedictorian bound for medical school—what schools are you looking at right now? And have you finished studying for your MCAT?"

"I'll be studying as soon as I get back," Jordan replied with a smile. "As for medical school, I've been looking at some options—mainly ivy branches, but a few stand-alone names as well."

"What about your specialty?" Sheila asked. "Do you have an idea yet?"

"Oncology," Jordan replied, sombering.

"Ah," Michael said, sensing the landmine. "So I understand you'll be accompanying Stella to the gala as her date? How close is that to reality?"

"Dad," I said, pleading with my eyes.

"Alright, fine," Michael laughed, "but I'm basically retiring after this, so you better grant me grandchildren soon."

"But we'll wait," Sheila added, giving her husband a pointed look. "A woman should ground herself financially before sitting down to consider such things."

"Of course, mother," I said. Sheila smiled, but it didn't reach her eyes, which remained a cool, composed grey.

"Glad to hear it," she replied. "Now who wants some ganache and bundt cake?"

Dinner went on like that—polite, warm, and 'normal.' That is to say, practiced.

---

"Stella," Sheila said, motioning me over to their room. It was almost ten and Jordan had already retired to the guest room downstairs.

"Mom?" I asked, walking over. My mother looked me top to bottom, smiling sadly.

"You're getting so mature," she sighed, hugging me again. "Graduation next year, huh? You'll be interning at the company for a few months after that. Put in some effort and I can get you to second-tier by the end of the year."

"I'll do my best," I promised. My mother flashed me a cool smile.

"So, about this Jordan boy," she said, removing her onyx earrings, "what's between you and him?"

"We're friends, mom," I started, but Sheila gave me a deadpan look."

"Don't give me that, Stella. You're a young, beautiful, and accomplished woman from a wealthy family," my mother explained patiently. "Only a fool would ignore that, and Jordan's no fool."

"Talking about the Jordan boy?" my father asked, emerging from the bathroom in navy silk pajamas. "I liked him—young, goal-orientated, and driven by personal reasons. Sure his parents aren't top-notch economically, but he's a nice boy."

"What happened to Calum, dear?" Sheila asked, placing the earrings into their slot in her armoire. "The Remington boy with the nice smile. Does he still play football?"

"Yes," I replied, fidgeting a little. "He's dating someone right now."

"It'll pass,' my mother shrugged. "Young men are naturally drawn towards innocent and wild women, but they'll cool off soon enough—especially when they've had a taste of pain themselves, not that you all would just yet."