Chapter 7

ed's p.o.v

Her name was Ellie, just like my sister's. Could it be her? No, it couldn't, Ellie was into rock music. She wouldn't like her brother's music. But, that girl looked exactly like Ellie, my sister. I should get to know this girl better, since there's a possibility of her being my sister. I ate in silence, wanting to ask this girl if I could take her home. I haven't seen or heard about my mom. I just want to know if Ellie's related to me. I need to know. Ugh, I'm starting to sound like a creep. Should I stay until she finishes her shift? Ellie walked by me and stopped.

"Is everything fine here, Ed? Do you need anything?" she asked.

"Yeah. May I ask, when is your shift over?"

"My boss is gonna let me out early since the customers have died down. So, I'll be out in an hour."

"Do you mind if I take you home?"

"Um... no, not at all. But, you don't have to go through all that trouble."

"It's fine, besides I can't just let you walk home."

"Okay, thank you so much."

"No problem."

I smiled at her, before she took off, waiting tables.

---

main p.o.v

My shift was finally over. I went inside the changing room and took off my hat. I opened my locker, shoving stuff in it. I took out my bag and exited the room. Ed was waiting for me by the back door. I ran up to him and we walked outside.

"So Ellie, what type of music are you into?" he asked.

"Well, I like many types of music; I don't stick to one type. For instance, I listen to your music and I listen to Evanescence."

"Oh... so how old are you?"

"17, turning 18 soon."

"When's your birthday?"

"January 11."

"You have the same birthday as my sister."

"You have a sister?"

"Yeah, but we lost contact. I left her and my mom after my-"

"You don't have to tell me if you don't want to. I don't want to pressure you."

"Let's just change the subject," he paused, "Do your parents let you work this late at night?"

"My father passed away a few years ago. And my mom doesn't care what I do with my life. Her and her stupid boyfriend treat me like crap."

"Why? That's terrible. No one should make you go through that shit. I'd love to teach your mom and her boyfriend how to treat a child."

"They... they also," my voice croaked.

"They what?"

"They hit me," I mumbled, tears rushing down my cheeks.

Ed embraced me into a tight hug and I cried into his chest. He stroked my hair, telling me that it'll be okay. That they won't hurt me again. But, they will hurt me I just know it. One thing's for sure, I can't come home tonight. Maybe I should run away or just end it all. End it all, my thoughts echoed. You won't be in pain any longer, they whispered.

"Ellie, listen to me. You are going home, packing your things, and you're leaving. I'll take you to the police department."

"No, no I can't. I- I have no proof. They'll just say I'm lying and I'll get hurt again."

"Then, we'll have to think of something. You can't stay there, I don't want you to get hurt."

"Why do you care so much? No one cares about me. Everyone always leaves me, just like my brother did!" I shouted.