Prologue

Tw: car crash mentions, mentions of blood

It was raining.

Unbelievably hard.

Tyler was alone in his room, tracing the lines of the raindrops that splashed against the window and stopped when they broke once they hit the bottom.

He couldn't stop thinking of the boy he kept dreaming about. Red hair, soft brown eyes. He just looked all too familiar, but he couldn't place it.

It was strange to Tyler, that he would dream of a boy he thought was familiar but he hadn't ever seen him before. Maybe he had, he just doesn't remember.

He couldn't remember much from the past few months. It all just seemed a blur, but he tried.

Rain. Lots of rain. And headlights.

He tried hard to remember what happened. The doctors said he may not, and they told him it was best he didn't, but he tried so hard.

A new memory began to form. A loud, high pitched noise.

A really loud squealing noise.

Like rubber on wet pavement.

Like... Tires on the rain soaked road.

Slowly, the memories started to come back to Tyler.

The dark sky, the pounding rain. The red-haired boy with the soft brown eyes sitting next to him, tensed and focused on the road before him. The blurry headlights of cars all around them. Tires squealing, glass shattering, red. Red everywhere and...

And then what?

Tyler tried to grasp onto any memory of the boy and what happened next, and he just couldn't.

There was a flicker of movement out past the raindrops Tyler was tracing and it caught his attention.

It was a boy, with bright red hair. He stood there and watched Tyler for a second before disappearing.

Suddenly all the memories hit and all Tyler could do was stare out at the empty space of the yard where the boy once stood.

"It's crystal clear." He whispered as the rain poured harder and he could no longer see out the window.