***

I slid my arms into my coat and flipped up the hood. Climbing down from the balcony, I checked to make sure the guards weren't around before hurrying over to Nyko's window. I scaled the rock surface and flopped over the railing. Picking myself up, I fixed my clothes, glad Nyko hadn't seen that awkward landing. I pressed my ear to the glass door. It was quiet inside. I turned the handle and poked my head into the room.

"Nyko?"

It was dark, except for the bathroom.

"Nyko?" I hurried toward it and opened the door.

My tribesman jumped and spun around, holding a towel to his waist. "Raja," he exclaimed. "What are you doing? Leave now." Snatching his robe, he put it on.

"We're leaving. Tobias is waiting."

"No, I'm not." He took me by the wrist and walked me to the balcony. "Hurry up before someone catches you here."

I planted my feet in place. "I gave you my word. I will not leave you here. I will not go without you."

"Yes, you will."

"I'll take you by force if I have to." I grabbed his arm and dragged him towards the railing.

"Stop it, Raja," he said in a hushed voice. "Stop it, now."

"You're coming with me."

He pried at my fingers. "I said no."

I lost my grip and flew into the railing. Nyko marched back into the room and froze.

I hurried after him and snatched his hand. "You're coming with me, right now."

"I think not."

My head snapped up, and I saw Lord Eadwyn standing by the door with his arms folded.

"What are you doing, Raja?" He approached us.

Nyko pushed me behind him. "I wasn't going to go."

"Hmmm..." He threw Nyko out of the way.

My tribesman toppled into the side of the bed and fell to the floor. I backed up against the wall as the overlord narrowed his eyes at me.

He picked up a lock of my hair. "Such a pretty boy. An exotic beauty that would go for such a high price in Helix."

I clenched my jaw. "Tobias is telling the truth. You blocked my memories of him. All of this is a lie."

"Beauty without a single brain cell." He shoved my head back, so it hit the wall.

Dropping to my knees, I held the spot, my eyes starting to water.

Groaning, Eadwyn went to the bed and sat down. "What am I going to do with you? How is it that Tobias can tame you so easily?"

Holding on to a chair to steady myself, I rose to my feet.

"Maybe it because he is also a wild animal." He laughed to himself.

"Let him go." Nyko knelt at the overlord's feet. "You'll still have me. Let Raja go home with Tobias, and we can avoid Helix coming here. Everything will return to normal."

With a deep breath, Eadwyn leaned back on his arms. "It's too late for that. I've simply been trying to keep Tobias here long enough to make my own arrangement. Now all I have to do is kill him."

I gritted my teeth. "You've tried. Not even the monsters you bring here have been able to stop him. If anything, he'll kill you first."

"I'm well aware," he replied with an annoyed expression. "But I have found the perfect beast to put against him. We'll be holding an early contest, so you'll be able to see Tobias die before we leave."