twelve | Hannah

"Everybody's a somebody. And then there's me, the nobody."

Hannah gazed upwards, staring at the thousands of tiny twinkling lights scattered across the sky. Now that she was alone at last, she could fully appreciate their beauty. To think, thousands of years ago, no one knew what they were...

Her mind drifted back to younger times, times when she was free, when she would sit there all night watching them, all day waiting for night to come once more.

Times when life was much more simple, much more satisfying..

Her mother hugged her close, rocking her back and forth. Hannah buried herself in her long, auburn hair, inhaling the sweet smell of roses.

"Hannah," she whispered, and the two year old gazed up, mesmerized, "If there ever comes a time where you're lost, and can't find your way out, look at the stars, and remember me."

And she did gaze at the stars, every night, but the memories were pain... All pain...

"Mommy! Mommy!"

Hannah ran, the largest grin on her face as she jumped up, hugging her.

"Mommy! The preschool said I did great on the test!"

Her mother smiled halfheartedly, distracted.

"Great! Guess what? Edward's been accepted into Harvard!"

Hannah frowned, dejected...

As Hannah grew, it got worse. She didn't bother anymore, but on rare occasions, she did try...

"Check it out! I broke the record for the mile!"

"Yes, yes, that's all great. William just took his first steps!"

Hannah scowled, and turned away, walking to her room and slamming the door shut.

Over and over it went, her three brothers alone making their parents more proud than she had ever done, and soon she was forgotten...

"Dinner!" Her mom called from the dining room.

Edward, Jack, and William scrambled inside, and were each treated with a large slice of pizza.

Hannah entered the room, grinning to herself, as she had just completed one of her most complicated plans.

"Hannah?" Her mother stared. "I thought you were at your competition?"

The grin slid off her face. "I came back five hours ago!"

"You did? I'm sorry, I didn't buy you pizza. Do you want this leftover avocado soup?"

Hannah ran out the front door, for the first time, succumbing to tears...

She gazed upwards. Remember me... But Hannah didn't want to remember. She wanted to forget.

"You released a snake into the classroom? What have you done? Are you trying to ruin my reputation, to make me the most embarrassed man to have lived?"

"Your reputation? That's what you want, that's what you care about?"

"Hannah, shut up and listen to your father, and don't even think about shouting at him!"

Hannah rounded on her mom. "Oh, so you're backing him up?"

"Yes, I am, because you are wrong, and I support those who are right!"

"He's right? This wouldn't have happened if it weren't for both of you!"

"Don't you dare! This is entirely your fault!"