"You ready to hit the road then?" Michael questioned as he entered their bedroom, his bag no longer in his hand.

"Yeah, do you mind putting this in the car while I check everything in the house please?" Alana replied as she struggled to lift her box off the floor.

"I've got it. I'll see you in the car in a minute then," he said, taking it out of her hands with ease.

"In case you want to get anything out of the house, or just to check on Michael, here's the key." Alana informed her mother, placing a new copy of her house keys into her mother's small hands.

"How do you know that I don't have a key already?" Her mother smirked, as she looked up at her daughter since she was four inches shorter.

"Do you?" Alana frowned, ready to snatch the keys out of her hand.

"No." She smiled sweetly which made Alana slightly unsettled. She would not underestimate her mother, if she had a chance, Alana was sure that she may have already cut a personal set of her house keys.

"Hurry up! You don't want to keep your boyfriend waiting!" Her mother insisted, pushing her out of her the room as she shoved Alana's bag into her hand.

"I love you and I'll call you when I get there. Take care." Alana hugged her tightly, kissing her gently on the cheek before getting into the car that awaited her.

"Ready babe?" Michael smiled as he turned the keys in the ignition.

"Let's go," Alana replied, leaning back against the grey passenger seat in the Honda as she closed her eyes and imagined herself in Kansas again.

"You're coming to the party tonight aren't you?" Ben reminded Cain as they left the office. How could Cain forget? His best friend had been ranting about it for the past two months and it was finally here.

"Of course. I invited Robin to come as my date. I hope that you don't mind." Cain stated with a smirk.

"Seriously? You're asking me that after you've already invited her? Well just know that Rosie isn't going to be impressed," Ben commented as they walked to the parking lot, the sky still bright as the sun shone down on them, the summer breeze cooling him down only slightly.

"At least I'm coming, that's what she should be worrying about rather than who I bring with me. Plus, the more people there, the merrier." Cain shrugged as if he were the one hosting the party in his own home.

"You're attitude stinks. I'll see you later." Ben complained, not glancing back as he made his way towards his car. Cain already knew that his attitude stunk. There had been a horrendous scent following him around for the past week and he had no idea why. All he knew was that he was exhausted and simply wanted to sleep, rather than have to attend a party that night. As Cain heaved himself into his car and threw his police hat onto the passenger seat, he felt his phone buzz in his pocket and was not surprised when he read the caller ID.

"Are we still on for tonight or were you calling to cancel on me?" Cain questioned.

"Actually, I was calling to ask what time you were picking me up." Robin asked, her soft voice flowing into his ear and Cain could easily imagine her red stained lips curved into a sexy smirk.

"Be ready by ten." Cain instructed placing the car keys into it's slot.

"Yes officer. I love it when you tell me what to do," Robin giggled and Cain smiled as his car roared to life.

"I'll see you soon." Cain stated before cutting the phone line.

Saying that Cain was relieved when Veronica left him was an understatement. She had been killing him, draining all of his energy as her pregnancy got more and more intense. Anger was also an emotion that he had experienced when she left. A lot of it at that. Especially when he caught her having sex with another man in his home, only to be told that the mystery man, whose voice Cain faintly recognised, was in fact the father. No one could imagine the thoughts and emotions which Cain experienced throughout the three months that he had put up with her when he thought that the child was his. She had been a royal pain but he put up with her for the sake of 'his' child, so that they would not have to live without a father.