Twenty Four

Lapis woke to Peridot cuddled close to her. The blue gem smiled and looked at Peridot. The small gem was snoring quietly, which made Lapis giggle.

Lapis ran her fingers through Peridot's hair. The ocean gem loved how soft Peridot's hair was. Peridot moved her head a little bit, mumbling.

Lapis slid out of the blankets, standing up. The water gem began to dance gracefully, humming to herself. Lapis spun herself, then danced past the mattress.

"Still dancing eh Lazuli?" Peridot chuckled, startling Lapis. Lapis spun around, blushing. "You scared me." The blue gem said, smiling.

"Sorry." Peridot said, walking over to Lapis. "Good morning." Lapis smiled, hugging Peridot. "Good morning to you too Lazuli." Peridot said.

"I was planning on dancing with you today, so how about now?" Lapis said, pulling away from the hug. "Sure, I would love to dance with you Lazuli." Peridot grinned. Lapis giggled and wrapped her arms around Peridot's waist.

Peridot wrapped her small arms around Lapis' neck, blushing. "Music?" Lapis asked, glancing at the CD player. Peridot nodded in response.

Lapis quickly pressed the button on the CD player, then rushed back to Peridot. She wrapped her blue arms back around Peridot's waist. Peridot wrapped her arms back around Lapis' neck.

'it's her hair and her eyes today
that just simply take me away
and the feeling that i'm falling further in love
makes me shiver but in a good way
all the times i have sat and stared
as she thoughtfully thumbs through her hair
and she purses her lips, bats her eyes as she plays,
with me sitting there slack-jawed and nothing to say
cause i love her with all that i am
and my voice shakes along with my hands
cause she's all that I see and she's all that I need
and i'm out of my league once again'

Peridot immediately began to grin as Lapis sang along. Lapis' voice was so beautiful, so soothing. Peridot adored it.

'it's a masterful melody when she calls out my name to me
as the world spins around her she laughs, rolls her eyes
and i feel like i'm falling but it's no surprise
cause i love her with all that i am
and my voice shakes along with my hands
cause it's frightening to be swimming in this strange sea
but i'd rather be here than on land
yes she's all that i see and she's all that i need
and i'm out of my league once again'

Peridot closed her eyes as Lapis continued to sing. The blue gem's beautiful voice sent chills down Peridot's spine.

'it's her hair and her eyes today
that just simply take me away
and the feeling that i'm falling further in love
makes me shiver but in a good way
all the times i have sat and stared
as she thoughtfully thumbs through her hair
and she purses her lips, bats her eyes as she plays,
with me sitting there slack-jawed and nothing to say
Cause i love her with all that i am
and my voice shakes along with my hands
cause it's frightening to be swimming in this strange sea
but i'd rather be here than on land
yes she's all that i see and she's all that i need
and i'm out of my league once again'

As the song ended, Peridot felt Lapis pull away from her. The green gem opened her eyes to see Lapis dancing all on her own.

Peridot's smile stayed on her face as she sat down and watched Lapis. It seemed as if Lapis had gotten lost in the dance. Peridot wondered how long she would dance for.

The CD stopped, now it was just Lapis dancing in complete silence. Peridot's eyes were glued to her, following her every move. The small gem had never noticed how beautiful Lapis was when she danced.

Peridot felt her face heat up, but she couldn't help it. Lapis looked so beautiful, so elegant! Peridot wondered where Lapis learned how to dance so well.

Sure, gems could dance but Lapis... Lapis could dance. Peridot admired everything about how Lapis danced, there were no words to describe it.

Beautiful, enchanting, stunning

Peridot shook her head as Lapis danced past her. She was getting dizzy, maybe it was from watching Lapis spin so much.

Captivating, graceful, gorgeous

Peridot ignored these words that were showing up in her mind. They didn't matter, it's not like she was ever going to tell Lapis how much she loved her dancing.

Magnificent, amazing, wonderful

Peridot stood up, hoping her mind would stop spinning. The green gem didn't even notice that Lapis stopped dancing. "Um Peri, you okay?" Lapis asked.

Peridot blushed, "Yes." She said. "Just making sure." Lapis smiled. Peridot nodded, smiling back.

Lapis looked at Peridot for a few minutes, then she tackled her into a hug. They were both on the floor, Lapis was laughing. Peridot blushed and chuckled quietly.

Lapis looked into Peridot's green eyes, her own blue eyes sparkling. Lapis placed her hands by Peridot's neck. The blue gem gently kissed Peridot's forehead.

Peridot smiled and blushed even more. The green gem wrapped her arms around Lapis and pulled her down. Peridot squeezed Lapis close, making the ocean gem laugh.

"I love you Lazuli." Peridot said as Lapis nuzzled her face into Peridot's neck. "I love you too Peridot." Lapis smiled. Peridot looked up at the ceiling, she too was smiling.

"Hey Lazuli, I have a question."

"Ask away."

"W-why haven't we fused yet?"

"What?!"

"Why haven't we fused? We've danced together and we have also made physical contact!"

"You have to be messing with me right now!"

"Why would I be messing with you?"

Lapis got off Peridot, standing up. The blue gem glared down at Peridot, who began to stand.

"Lazuli I'm confused, what makes you think I'm messing with you?"

"You want to fuse with me."

"And?"

"And I was trapped under the ocean for months in a fusion!"

Peridot noticed Lapis had tears in the corners of her eyes. Lapis looked hurt as Peridot stayed silent. The ocean gem balled her fists.

"I-I'm sorry Lazuli I forgot-"

"You forgot?!"

"Y-yes I-"

"How could you forget?!"

"I don't know!"

Lapis looked at Peridot for a minute, the green gem was shaking. Lapis then flew away, Peridot ran out of the barn after her.

"Lazuli, wait! Come back! I didn't mean to upset you! I'm sorry!" Peridot shouted, watching Lapis disappear into the morning sky.