Twenty Three

Days had passed sense the carnival, tonight Lapis and Peridot were sitting outside the barn. It was around 9:00 PM, but it wasn't dark outside. "Lapis! Peridot!" The two gems turned their heads to see Steven and the others.

"Hi Steven." Lapis grinned. "Hey." Peridot said, giving a small wave. "Guess what, today is the Fourth of July! We're gonna go see some fireworks, and you two are coming with us!" Steven exclaimed.

"Oh, sounds fun!" Lapis smiled, she had no idea what a firework was. "What are fireworks?" Peridot asked, looking at Steven. "They're just fireworks I guess. You'll see when we get there!" Steven smiled.

Lapis stood up, then Peridot stood after her. "Where's the lion? Please don't tell me we have to take it.." Peridot said, she really didn't like Lion. "He's at home, we only have to walk to the lighthouse!" Steven said.

"The lighthouse? Peridot took me there before, it's beautiful there!" Lapis grinned. "Yeah it is! Let's go!" Steven shouted happily, running ahead of Garnet. "Fireworks! Fireworks! Fireworks!" Steven chanted.

Lapis looked at Peridot with a smile. "I'm very curious as to what these fireworks are." The blue gem said. "Me too." Peridot replied.

After a few minutes of walking, they finally reached the lighthouse. "Wow, there sure are a lot of people here." Peridot said, taking Lapis' hand. Lapis looked around, she was a little scared.

"Look, there's Connie! She saved us a spot!" Steven called, running to his friend. The gems followed him, all of them smiling. "Garnet, Amethyst, Pearl! Hi!" Connie smiled.

"Oh, hello Connie." Pearl smiled. "Yo what up C?" Amethyst asked, ruffling Connie's hair. "Oh nothing, I missed you guys." Connie chuckled.

The young girls eyes then fell on Peridot and Lapis. Connie whispered something into Steven's ear. The boy nodded and looked at the two gems.

"Oh yeah, I forgot you didn't meet them yet! Uh Connie, this is Peridot." Steven said, pointing to the green gem. "Hi." Peridot said awkwardly. "Hello, I've heard a lot about you! So you're a Crystal Gem now? Wow!" Connie smiled, shaking Peridot's hand.

"Yes, I am a Crystal Gem.. and you are?" Peridot asked. "I'm Connie, Steven's best friend. I'm not a Crystal Gem, I'm just a boring old human." Connie smiled. "Pleasure to meet you, Connie." Peridot smiled.

"And this is Lapis!" Steven smiled, pointing to Lapis. Connie looked at the blue gem, she remembered her. "Lapis, it's been a while. I'm Connie, if you didn't remember me." Connie said, briefly remembering when Lapis tried to drown her and Steven.

"Oh, yeah. I remember you.. I'm really sorry for what I did." Lapis said, flashing a small smile at Connie. "It's okay, a friend of Steven's is a friend of mine! Are you also a Crystal Gem?" Connie said. "N-no.... it's complicated." Lapis said quietly.

"Oh." Connie said, looking at Steven. He shrugged, looking back at Connie. Connie then turned her head back to Lapis.

"So uh... have you guys ever seen fireworks?" Connie asked. "No." Peridot replied. "Well I'm sure you'll like them." Connie smiled.

"Look, they're starting!" Steven exclaimed. Everyone turned their attention to the sky. The loud booms came from the fireworks, making Peridot jump.

"Wow, they're beautiful." Lapis said. "Yeah." Peridot said, jumping as another firework went off. "It's okay, calm down." Lapis said soothingly as she put her hand on Peridot's.

Peridot smiled and watched the fireworks. There was an occasional "Wow!" Or "Oooo!" From Steven and Connie. Lapis would get excited and tap Peridot's hand, then point to the firework.