3: A Promise

The entire ride was silent, except when I would occasionally give him directions. He pulled up by the pavements as I got out from his black range rover.

"Thank you for the ride, Roderick. But I don't need you to protect me, it will just make things worse." I whispered the last part as I walked back to my house.

I turned the doorknob, about to enter the house when a voice stopped me. "Gemini." I turned around to see him leaning against his car.

"No matter what happens, I will be there for you." He offered a smile as he waved at me. I sighed, shaking my head at his stubbornness and entered the house.

I closed the door and leaned against the surface. I was grateful that he had offered to help me. But by dragging him into the mess, it would only make things worse.

+++

I walked into the school with my head hung down, ignoring the stares from the whole school. It was always the same every morning. Nothing would change even if Roderick offered to protect me.

The only way was to get out of high school after enduring for one more year. After graduation next year, I would move to college and never face my bullies again.

A shut of my locker pulled me back to the present as I turned to look at Chase who was towering above me. I looked around me to see that he was only alone.

Closing my eyes, I waited for the blows and kicks. But there was nothing.

I peeked my eyes open to see him rolling his eyes at me. "Aren't you going to bully me or something?" I blurted out, raising a brow.

When he said nothing, I assumed that I should keep my mouth shut. However, he was looking pointedly at something behind me.

I turned around to see Roderick standing behind me. "Roderick?" I whispered, gaining his attention as he smiled down at me.

"Let's go, kitten." He said, grasping onto my arm as he pulled me away from Chase.

I kept quiet as he walked me to my first lesson, Food and Nutrition (F&N). I mumbled a 'goodbye' as I entered the kitchen and walked to my seat.

I left my bag on the seat beside me since no one would bother to partner with me during projects. While I was waiting for Ms. Woodley to come in for her lesson, Hailey walked towards me, glaring at me.

"Stay away from what's mine, pathetic slut. Roderick is mine." She let out a growl as she slammed her hands against my desk.

I lowered my head as I nodded. She huffed and walked off with a flip of her hair. I released a sigh as I looked up to see Ms. Woodley entering the kitchen.

All the chattering died down as she started her lesson.

"As you know, it is the first semester and you guys will have to start on a project. The project for this semester will be three dishes with 'home' as the theme. Any questions?"

Pathetic Gemini has lost her family in a car crash, I wonder how she will pass this project.

Nah, she will get a zero for this project.

She will flunk this project for sure.

I can't wait to see her failing this project.

I ignored their hurtful comments and looked down. I held in the tears, gripping onto my tote bag tightly.

I won't let their comments hurt me.

The insults and comments went on until Ms. Woodley had to shut their gaps. She assigned us homework to research on the dishes before creating it along the theme.

I sighed as I took out my laptop and began to research on the recipes as I took down notes. I came across a few good recipes, but my mom wasn't here to give me advice.

I looked at the stove beside me. If only she was here, she would be smiling down at me as she cooked dinner on a peaceful evening after we completed our homework.

We would be sitting together as we shared our day's experience in school, blabbering about funny jokes while our parents would laugh at us.

Those were the best days, until all of them were taken away from me. My cherished, loved ones were taken away from me. But fate can't take away the memories of them.

+++

Vote. Comment. Share.

Enjoying this book? Add this book to your library and your reading list.

Things are going to get interesting soon, you know? So, stay tuned for more.

8th July 2016