I don't own any of this stuff.

Eric's Daughter- a Divergent FanFic

Chapter 1

          My hand shook as I raised it over the bowls laid out in front of me. My eyes met my father's. He was standing across from me. His eyes told me to make the right decision. I didn't bother looking for my mother--I knew that she wouldn't have come. She always thought of me as a mistake. Her one night stand with my father seventeen years ago was the only blot on her otherwise spotless record.

          I was mainly raised by my mother's Erudite colleagues. They taught me everything to do with science, mathematics, and literature. My father occasionally met with me to train. Since I was ten, my father had been training me to be the ultimate Dauntless. He himself was the leader of the Faction. His expectations were high and I had no one else to go to. My hand stopped over the coals, my blood sizzled, the sound of my father's fist closing around me.

          My father made sure that I knew what was coming in the aptitude test. He instructed me to choose the knife, kill the dog, and do nothing else. I was to get a plain and simple Dauntless result. After that, I had to make it onto the train. I practiced for hours in the dead of night, until I could board a train in my sleep. We also practiced jumping off, onto abandoned buildings. To give me a strong incentive, Eric would beat me if I didn't perform up to standards. Sometimes he only slapped me, others he would beat me until I blacked out. He constantly reminded me that I was his daughter and that I had to become Dauntless leadership to replace him. Anything less, and he would "accidentally" push me off the train.

          When we reached the rooftop, he gave his usual speech about jumping through the hole. He looked at me the whole time, reminding me that I had to be the first jumper. After he finished, I hesitated for just a second, but in that second, a boy named Jacob stepped forward. He was Dauntless-born, and cockily walked forward and jumped into the hole. I knew that Eric would be mad, but it was too late now. I hurried to be second, at least. As I stepped up to the ledge, Eric grasped my upper arm. To an outsider, it looked like a helping gesture, but I knew better. His vice grip gave me bruises to show me his dissatisfaction. I jumped without anymore hesitation- I knew about the net at the bottom.
Four and Tris helped me mount the platform.

          "Second Jumper-- "

          "Mel" I supplied.

          "Mel" Tris announced to the crowd.

          I jumped down and joined the other transfers in the cavern. I knew everything about Dauntless, so I wished that I could have gone with Lauren, but since I had grown up in Erudite, I had to go with Four. He and Tris held hands as they showed us the pit. I went through the tour on autopilot and didn't even mind as I stripped out of my blue dress and changed into black Dauntless clothes. All I could think about was the beating I was in for because of my disappointing second jump.