Gravestone Meetings

Reese's POV.
As I read my book, Hamlet, a phone call came in. It was my Aunt, basically my mother, calling me. I answered my iPhone to hear her sobbing.
"What happened?" I asked.
"Maeve, it's Maeve. Sh-she-she's dead," That's all that she could get out before another full blown attack of tears and snot and tears escaped Aunty.
"Wha- I'm coming to DC right away, Aunty. I'll tell you as soon as I'm supposed to land. You understand me, Aunty?" I grab my suitcase.
"Thank you, Reese. I love you so much, Sweetie."
I mumbles back a love you before going into a full packing frantic mode. I called the airline to book a ticket. I got one for that night.

•••
The flight from Oregon to DC was 7 hours. I entered DC at 8 in the morning with very little sleep. I ran on just hot cocoa and coffee cake. I grabbed my carry on bag from the top and left as soon as I could.
"Reese, Sweetie," Aunty her arms held out.
I embraced her, Uncle stood waiting for his turn.
"I'm so so sorry," I whispered to him. He nodded his head. "Well, shall we go?"
"Yes, we should." Aunty said.
The car ride back to their home was quiet and slightly awkward.
I had been practically raised as Maeve's sister throughout our lives. Sisters in distance but always by heart.
"Your room is still as it was," Aunty said.
She went to her room, Uncle following her. Both were wallowing as they did. I felt bad for them. They lost their only child but I lost my best friend, practically my sister and I don't even know what happened.
When I entered my room a wave of memories came to me. We played in here together, we fought in here together, we gave each other secrets in here.
I sat on my bed and stared at Maeve's side of the room. It was so tidy and clean that you wouldn't have known that ever since her stalker started she had moved to protect her parents. After that I didn't have much contact with her.
I smoothed out a corner of her comforter because if Maeve were here she'd freak out about the imperfection of her sheets and would've redone the whole thing. Her OCD bothered me since I was quite messy but she made me pick up all my messes before going to sleep.
•••
The funereal was three days after I arrived. I had called my office, a fairly large vet clinic, to inform them that I would not be able to come into work for the next week. My aunt and uncle needed me too much for support.
It was just her close family and friends since she didn't have much of either. It was all outside since she didn't get much of that after she moved the first time because of her stalker.
Aunty has asked me to give a speech since it was difficult for me to burst into tears in front of others.
I walked up to the box with Maeve in it. She had been cremated. I placed my purple lily on top of it. They were her favorites. I sniffled a little bit before I looked up.
"I'll try to get through this in a timely manner, she hated long speeches. They bore her to- oh, that isn't appropriate for this," A crowd full of sad laughter filled my ears.
"Maeve is-uh-was my best friend, cousin, and sister. She was full of happiness and joy. She is my role model. She is what I hope my future children become. Both with her wisdom and knowledge and her overall kindness. Once, when we were seven years old, we went out to the river near the camp ground we were staying at. I found a nearly dead squirrel. My first instinct was to have her father kill it to end its suffering. She instead said that we should try to help the poor creature. We ended up doing so and that's when I decided to be a vet and Maeve decided to go into the medical field too. It was little moments like those that greatly influenced so many lives. If she wouldn't have gone to be whatever she was, I can't say it to save myself, she wouldn't have been able to help so many lives.
She told me that she had met this one guy who she had helped as much as she could. She told me about how much she really likes this guy. She never told me his name but I know that she truly loved him. He lost the most that day when she died. He lost a love, that wont be earl silly replaced. That man lost a future with her, we already had great moments with her, his had just began. 'Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go, but starting over.' Nicole Steban said that and I think that's what that her love has to do along with everyone else here."
I noticed a man, his brown hair a bit shaggy and his face was unshaven. Was this the man that Maeve was so in love with? I sat down and stared at the man the rest of the time. He shook the whole time, his cries of sorrow unheard by the people there. Nobody seemed to pay attention to him the entire time. I was going to change that.

A/N
I try to get most everything right that comes from the story. I'm sorry if it's not correct. Thanks for reading!
xoxo.
Kajsa