11

"Can I run something by you?" I looked up from the bowl of popcorn in my lap for a moment to give Ryan my undivided attention.

"Shoot." I told him.

"What do you think about Sports Medicine?"

"For your specialty? I thought you were leaning towards general surgery." At least, that's what he said the last time we talked about his future in medicine.

"I was. I am." He corrected himself. "I know that I want to help people, but I don't know how."

"Well for what it's worth, I think you'd be great as a general surgeon or a sports medicine doctor." I told him. "How's the studying coming along?"

"Every single time I try to study, I feel like I'm going to throw up. I've been waiting for this moment for months, but now that it's finally here I don't know what to do."

"You're going to do great. You take so many shifts at the hospital- you're a great surgical intern. And the intern exam is just going to highlight how great you are."

"Adulting is hard." He pouted, and I began to laugh.

"Well, you're the one who decided to become a doctor, so..."

"Hey! You love music, I love medicine." Ryan shrugged his shoulders.

"Here's to following our dreams." I raised my coffee mug in the air in a toasting gesture.

"Retweet!" Without cracking a smile, he clinked his mug against mine.

"Yeah, don't say that out loud." I almost choked on my coffee, I was laughing so hard.

"You need a ride to work?"

"If you don't mind." I said, sheepishly. Kay had a catering gig in Anaheim and needed trunk space, so I let her take my car. "I've done enough walking for today."

"I live down the street." He pointed out, laughing.

"Like I said: I've done enough walking for one day." It was that point in the week where I just didn't have the energy: the weekend was so close, yet still so far. I had to log in another 25 hours in the studio before I could call it a week.

"How's it going in the studio, by the way?"

"It's good- the Paper Cranes album is really coming along. We wrapped production the other day, and the record hits stores a week from Friday." I told him.

"That's incredible! I'm so excited for you, sis." With a genuine grin on his face, Ryan pulled me in for a hug.

"Thanks, Ry. I hope you're coming to the launch party?"

"Wouldn't miss it. Now, the elephant in the room: how's Drew's album coming along?" He asked, and I couldn't help but roll my eyes. I couldn't talk to a single person without them bringing it up. It was starting to get annoying.

"I wish everyone would quit asking me that." I grumbled, setting my empty coffee cup in the sink. Ryan copied me, and grabbed his car keys as the two of us walked out his front door.

"I know, sorry. I know you get it a lot, I just can't help it! I'm just curious, whatcha gonna do?" Ryan smirked and I tried to hold back my smile.

"Did I mention I hate you?"

"Only about once a day." He replied smoothly. "Now come on." He led me into the elevator to head down to the parking garage.

* * * * *

"Morning, Anna."

"Good Morning Oscar." I handed him my ID badge so he could swipe me in. "I brought you something!"  I made Ryan stop at the bakery a few blocks away from the studio on our way. I watched the receptionist's eyes practically glaze over as I slid the paper bag over to him.