Chapter 13: Heartbeat

I arrived on the floor my inn was on. Holy mother of god I am a tired human. I stretched as I walked around the town. It was small, and that's what i like about it. It reminds me of my real life home town. Small, and if you lived there long enough, you know where everything is.

I entered the inn, checked in, and made my way upstairs. I look for the room I had rented, and gave it a gentle knock.

"Athena? It's Josh. I'm back." I said to her.

"Mmmm...C-coming..." Athena muttered from within the room. Looks like someone was taking a nap.

I heard footsteps from inside, moving to the door, then locks being unlocked. Then the door was opened. Athena was in her sleep wear, it was really just a white night gown. Nothing special. She rubbed her eyes tiredly.

"Good lord, I leave you for one day, and your friends wear you out,huh?" I teased.

"Mhm." She replied weakly.

I walked in, sitting down on the bed.

"Oh! Guess what Athena?!" I said.

"Hm...? Did you get a rare drop...?" She asked in a weak voice.

"Nope." He said playfully. I showed her the armor Lisbeth made for her. I could see her eyes glow happily.

"Oh wow! This is so cool! E-erm...where did you get this?"

I explained to her my rather busy day. From Sir Drake, to Lisbeth, to Mira. I told her everything, even the details about Connor.

"O-oh...sounds like he sure was something special to her,hm?" Athena said with a smile.

"Yeah, I just hope she will be able to keep fighting alright." I reply.

"Heh, yea...remember when we were trying to train hard after the..." She trailed off.

"Yea...we weren't doing all the great, We were sloppy, because our friends were in the back of our heads...Theo, Zinshaw, Kaleb...poor souls didn't need to go like that..." I also trailed off.

There was an uneasy silence in the room now. I sat beside Athena. We didn't make eye contact.

"..."

"..."

"...Josh?" Athena finally spoke.

"Yea?" I turned my head to her.

"...You won't go like that...will you? We are going to win this game...right? We will be able to get o-out...and see each other i-in real life...r-right?"

I hug Athena tightly.

"Of course not...I won't be going anywhere. I'll be right here. One way or another. And I am gonna get us out of this game. You can't really call it that anymore though,huh? It's...more like a whole new way of life. But despite that, we can't just stay here. We have to win. For me, you, Mira...everyone."

Athena blushed somewhat, she stood up, escaping my embrace. She gently sat in my lap, leaning her side against my chest, resting her head on my shoulder.

"...Thank you Joshie."

My heart rate went up. And she could hear it.

"...Thump, thump,thump." She whispered, Athena lowered her head. laying her head on top of it to get a better sound of it.

My heart was dancing in my chest for Athena.

"Yea...it's strange..they can mimic such a sound so well." I shyly commented.

"Mhm...but despite that...I know this is Josh's heartbeat...it's just making me so happy." She smiled, her rosey cheeks almost glowing.

"...I'm happy you get to listen to it." I reply, giving her a light kiss on the cheek.

"Hehe~" She giggled at me. But despite that, she gave me a kiss on the forehead.

And that was when I knew within my heart...I love Athena. So we just sat there, cuddling into one another, blissfully and peacefully. This was the first time since this nightmare began where...I felt calm for once. I hoped Athena felt the same way.

That being said, while I was worried about making sure she stayed alive, she was really strong. She was only a few levels under me. And I'm the third highest leveled player in the game. Mira and Heathcliff beat me to it unfortunately.

"Joshie...?" Athena asked, placing her hand on my heart so she could sit up,staring at me with her beautiful eyes.

"Yes Athena...?"

"I know it's considered rude to ask about your real life...but I was wondering...what is your real life name? I don't want to know your avatar... I want to know who 'you' are."

I blinked for a moment, then smile a bit shyly.

"U-um...its Josh, I just wrote 'Joshua' cause it's the longer variant of my name. I couldn't come up with a nickname I liked."

"It's okie, I could understand that."

"So your name in real life in Athena?" I asked.

She shook her head.

"No, I was able to come up with it though."

"Ah, well...what is your real life name?" I asked.

"Katelyn."