Chapter 10: The Red Swordsmen

It was a while since I saw Mira in the forest maze. Unfortunately, the snow has melted and in its place is the warmer breeze of spring. I won't lie, I am the kind of guy that would prefer to be cold then to warm. But everyone seems to enjoy it, so I won't open my mouth about it. After all, spring usually is nice,right?

I was on floor 22. I don't recall the name of it very well.  But it was a very pretty floor. It had a forest area by a lake, with wooden walkways so that traffic could get by. Not that much traffic came through, but ya never know. I was by my lonesome, Athena was off on a quest with some friends she made. Leaving me to not do a whole lot. I was by one of the small lakes, resting in the grass, my eyes closed as I happily took in the scene.

"Man...I love this. Just chilling out, not worrying about to much...why can't my real life be like this?" I said to no one, picking at the grass gently with my fingers.

"All I get there is yelled at by my dad. Getting called a failure just because I'm-"

"There you are!" A voice called out to me.

I opened my eyes, a large figure stood above me, I took a moment to let my eyes adjust to see them. It was a tall male with red and white armor.

"...Can I help you?" I asked, sitting up.

"My name is Captain Drake. I am here on behalf of the Knights of the Blood Oath." He said formally.

"A-are you?" I asked. 

The Knights of the Blood Oath was a growing guild. They took pride for being the current leaders in the assault team. Well, maybe not leaders, but the guys who knew how to take out bosses.  

"Yes. I am here to ask if you are the 'Red Swordsmen' I heard so much about?"

I look to the side, finding it odd I have a nickname.

'Well...I suppose? I'm Josh, a solo player." I said, turning my head back to him.

"Oh ho! so it's true! If that's the case. I was wondering if you would like to take up a request?"

"What kind of request are we talking about?" I asked.

"The Knights of the Blood Oath would like to request your presence for the next boss raid on floor 55." Drake said dramatically.

My eyes widened.  Wait, the Knights of the Blood Oath, a guild filled to the brim with badass boss killers, want me of all the people to help them? 

"We need someone like you on this one. We heard about your fight with the Gleam Eyes. While we are sorry about what had happened, we, and my men, would feel more at ease knowing someone like you was on our side for this one. Naturally you would earn Col, EXP, and whatever item you get, I'm not asking you to pay up community service after all."

"H-hold on...is this a boss that's giving you a hard time?" I asked.

Drake looked off this time, his eyes dimming a bit. 

"...We lost valuable men who couldn't teleport out of that boss room fast enough. But we won't lose another this time! Josh...are you in?"

I thought about it for a long while. I have only cleared one other boss since the Gleam Eyes. One could say I was out of practice. And this time, I could have help, but Athena... I couldn't let her know. She would worry too much.

'I'll do it. But understand that I have friends that I need to protect. Should anything happen to them on the day of the raid, I will have to cancel."

"Oh hooo! A most respectable gentlemen you are. Very well, I shall Inform Heathcliff right away!" Drake said with vigor.

He waved as he left for the teleporter, saying the floor he wanted to go to as blue aura surrounded him and was teleported.

I took a moment to close my eyes again. Did I say the right answer? Did I make the smart choice? To hell if I know at this point. What I did know was that at some point in time, I had a boss raid in my future.

My train of thought was interrupted by a message that appeared in front of me. I poked it and opened it up. It was from Mira.

Josh...can you meet me on floor 48?

To which I replied with Sure thing.

Once I closed my menu, I stood up and also walked to the teleporter. Heading to the floor I was asked to meet Mira on.

I believe that floor was Lindas. At least that was the main settlement there. What is it with me and not knowing floor names today? Anyway, I spent a lot of time on floor 22, the sun was already setting. I looked back at the lake side, smiling one last time.

"Teleport: Lindas!" I yelled as the teleporter activated, taking me away to my destination.

The Red Swordsmen, huh? Is that really the name I'm given? I know that I always had some form of red on my equipment, but it seemed to easy to just be labeled as that. 'The Red Swordsmen' ...I guess I'd rather have something boring then cheesy.

Otherwise I'd have to make a cheesy pun about it...heh