vii. WHEN I GET BACK

[1940's AU]

It was quite hard to be  respected in a place of power in the 1940's, especially as a woman. The occasional wolf whistle when you walked around the army base was not abnormal yet it was no less undermining each time. What made the situation worse is that no-one cared. No-one ever tried to defend you and no-one ever tried to make it stop. Well, actually, there was one person.

"Hey, you guys, stop that." came a gruff voice from behind you. You stopped in your tracks and turned sharply on your heel, eyeing the man this comment came from. His facial structure was sharp and his eyes gleamed a bright blue. Despite his well-groomed appearance, his posture sagged slightly and his bright eyes displayed no hope. Front-line. He was a front-line soldier.

The men that were previously catcalling you were now in silence as they sat together in a circle. The soldier eyed them sternly before turning to you, his gaze softening. "James Buchanan Barnes of the 107th, ma'am." He held out his hand for you to shake but your eyes flitted between his expression and his open palm. After a couple of seconds he pulled his hand away and scratched the back of his neck in confusion. "Agent (Y/L/N)" you stated and his soft smile re-appeared.

You gestured for him to move away from the minute crowd that had gathered at the rare scene and he followed you.

"Why'd you do that, Sergeant Barnes?" His eyes wondered your expression before he mumbled a quiet "I didn't like how they were treating you." You had to resist the smile that was aching to make it's way onto your face. "Well... thanks?" you finished in an almost questioning tone. He chuckled lightly and the two of you remained in silence as you looked at each other for a couple of seconds.

"(Y/L/N), we need you in here." said the monotone voice of Peggy Carter from the central building. "I have to g-go and do that...thing that I'm supposed to do and yeah, yeah. I'll see you, um, Sergeant" you stumbled and he smirked. "Call me Bucky." You nodded and smiled, still unable to move despite Peggy's calls.

"My platoon is heading out soon but I was thinking that the two of us could go out when I get back? I am an excellent dancer so maybe we could go dancing together." His smirk was still evident and your cheeks were heating rapidly as you fiddled with the papers in your hands.

"I would love that."