CHAPTER 3

Salem couldn't get that encounter out of his head.

He was confused and rather skeptic about the whole thing. What was he supposed to do? Shrug it off and accept the fact that he had other living family members that actually knew him? He could do that, but judging from what he's been through his whole life, it won't be that easy.

Salem managed to make his way through the crowd and checked in one of the dorms. It was surprising to see that college students were handling the registration, but he was thankful they gave him directions to his new home for the rest of the summer.

Once he got his room key and dorm appointment, he made his way to the east of the school where the Revenson Dormitory was situated.

According to the handbook, Saint Barbara's University had four dorms housing most of its students. Two of the said dorms were built at the same time the school was established and the other two were constructed later on.

Revenson Dormitory was where most of the prospect students like him were staying. It was a 15 minute walk from the sign-up area which was pretty convenient for him. It was situated at the eastern part of the campus and was one of the oldest dorms ever built, along with the Carson Dormitory at the opposite side of university grounds.

The first thing Salem noticed about the structure was that it was freshly painted in maroon, black and white like the other buildings he'd seen in the main campus. It looked surprisingly spacious even for a 4-storey building and had cedar trees growing on its sides. To his side was a long, wooden fence that separated the campus' grounds from the dense forest surrounding it.

While the other kids were lining up the entrance to the building, Salem made a quick detour and walked to the side of the dorm. He wasn't sure why, but he felt like he had to check something out.

"It should be around here somewhere..." he mumbled to himself.

His eyes followed the fence until he saw a gap from one of the fences' poles. When he got close enough, he saw an old wooden gate with its hinges all worn out and rusted. Beyond that point was a pathway paved with red bricks leading into the forest.

That leads to the old church. It's the safest way there.

He didn't know how or why he knew that. He doesn't even know how it could make any significant impact in his life here.

Even so, he imagined people walking down that path to attend the Sunday mass –the grown-ups tugging their children along the safe path so they won't get lost. He could hear their shoes trotting on the bricks and the town's ladies' pre-mass gossip going on and about. He could feel himself walking with them, enjoying the sunlight escaping the forest's lush green canopy. He felt safe.

He then woke up from his daydream with a jolt as a hand grabbed his shoulder.

"Sorry kid, you're not allowed to go there without permission." One of the college volunteer told him as he herded Salem back to the dorm's entrance.

He couldn't shake that feeling of unease as they walked away from the path and for some reason, it started to bother him. He didn't even realize that they had entered the building. The volunteer was talking about how important it is not to get lost on the first day, but Salem wasn't listening. His mind was too busy wandering off. He scanned the area and took note of the receiving hall's mediocre looking chandelier and black-leather couches placed at the sides, with a few magazine stands here and there.

When the volunteer finished talking, Salem thanked him and made his way to the main staircase that joined the east and west wing of the building together.