Back in the kitchen, his mum was doing the washing up.

“Good morning,” she said cheerily. “You’re up early.”

He’d had his breakfast on his own, so this was the first time they’d seen each other.

“Yes, I couldn’t sleep. I’m not sure why, really, I just woke up early.”

“So did your sister. It’s a shame you two can’t be this keen to get up during school time.”

“Yes, Mum. Oh, Freddie’s coming round this morning, by the way. He’ll be here around half nine.”

“OK, I’ll make sure I’m dressed by then.”

Thank goodness for that. He wouldn’t put it past her to still be in her pyjamas when he turned up. “If you would, Mum.”

He went up to his bedroom and shut the door. The time machine really did take up a lot of room, and getting around it was becoming a bit of a chore. Maybe it wasn’t such a bad idea to transfer it all to the stables, then he’d be able to dismantle the frame and get his floor back.

One more trip, and he’d take the risk of moving it all. So long as they didn’t break anything he couldn’t see why his dad would mind. If he ever found out, that is.

A very slow hour and a half followed. Jack lay on his bed, listening to Radio One. There was a spare piece of wood left over from building the frame for the time machine, and he spent a good hour with his penknife, shaving one end into a point, like the end of a spear. He had no idea what he was going to do with it, and the sharper it got the blunter his penknife became, which wasn’t the best result really: a sharp point on a piece of wood wasn’t really as useful as a sharp blade on a knife. He also had wood shavings over his chest and his bed, which he was sure his mum would be thrilled to see.

Still, at least he’d remembered to make his bed first. Otherwise it may have been a little uncomfortable sleeping that night.

At around nine o’clock, Jess knocked on his door and came in. She rarely waited for him to call out any sort of response to her knock.

“How long now?” she asked, as she sat down in one of the garden chairs.

“About half an hour.”

“I’m going to go and watch some TV.”

“Good idea,” said Jack, “you can let Freddie in when he gets here.”

“Are you just going to lie here, playing with a piece of wood?”

“I think so. It stops me pacing up and down. Not that I can do that in here. If I was in the living room, I’d be wearing a track in the carpet.”

“OK. See you in a bit.”

She left him alone again. But not for long.

A couple of minutes after Jess left the room, there was another knock at the door. This time it was his mum.

“Can I come in?” She had learned to give him his privacy when he had turned eleven.  

“Sure, Mum.” He quickly sat up and brushed the wood shavings off his chest onto the duvet, then sat in a position that he hoped would hide all the evidence from her.

“I was going to wash your bedding today. Can you strip it off for me?”

“Yeah, sure. Now? I’m just waiting for Freddie. Can I do it later? You don’t want him to see my bed unmade, now do you?”

“It wouldn’t bother me, but if you have suddenly developed a little pride in your appearance, then that’s fine. So long as I can have them this morning.” With that she shut the door and left him alone again.