Chapter 1

I walk out of my history class and Zack is there waiting to walk me to lunch. "Hey Zack" I say smiling at him.

"Hey Tyler" he says opening his arms for me to hug him.

I walk over to hug him and when I pull away we start walking to lunch.

"What are you doing this weekend?" I ask.

"Ummm... probably gonna play video games and on Sunday I've made plans to go bowling with my co-workers. My dad and his girlfriend are going up to the beach house so I'm gonna have the house to myself. What about you?"

"Kaylee is gonna stay at my house this weekend. We're probably just gonna chill."

"That's cool... I'll see you in the lunch line" he says and begins to walk into the bathroom by the cafeteria.

"Ok" I say and walk into the cafeteria.

I immediately see Kaylee, Jordynn and Tess standing in line and I go to walk towards them when I heard someone calling my name.

"Tyler!" The voice yells.

I turn around to see Chad jogging towards me. Once he gets to me he embraces me in a huge hug.

"Hey Chad"

"Hey Tyler"

Chad and I walk over to meet up with the others.

"Hey" I say.

"Hi" they all respond.

"What's going on?" I ask.

"Nothing really today has been really boring" Kaylee says.

"Do you have any crazy monologues you have to practice for theatre?" Jordynn asks then looks at Kaylee and Tess and says " she does some really weird monologues like one was about lifting Twinkies as exercise and before that it was a lady trying to get a can of tuna fish."

They all laugh and stare at me.

" I don't pick the monologues i just perform them and yes I have a new one and it's about an underground evil clown society."

"Are you serious?" Tess asks.

"Dead ass and my theater teacher said he thinks this one fits me. Should I be offended?" I say and they all burst out laughing. I laugh too, then suddenly a pair of arms wrap around my waist. I jump and let out a little shriek which only causes the group to laugh harder. I look to the side to see Zack smiling at me. I laugh and hold onto his arms.

After we all get our lunch we go to our usual table and begin eating. Everyone starts talking about weekend plans.

"Yeah I'm staying over Tyler's house" Kaylee says.

"I'm probably gonna stay in and play videogames" Zack says.

"Imma be bored as fuck" Jordynn says.

"Same" Tess says.

"I could probably convince my dad to let me have a small party and we can chill" I say.

"True"

"Are we invited too?" Chad and Zack ask.

"Yeah my dad already knows Zack so it should be fine if you two come" I say.

"Cool" Chad says.

Suddenly Chad's face drops and he grabs my waist and pulls me close to him. Normally I wouldn't care but he was squeezing me really hard.

"Ow" I say and Zack's neck snaps so he can see what's happening between us.

"Tyler, what's wrong?" Tess asks.

"Chad is squeezing the life out of me" everyone stares at Chad and he looks terrified.

"Chad, what wrong?" Kate asks.

"Zack turn around and look out the window" Chad says in almost a whisper.

We all turn around to stare out the giant windows in the cafeteria. I scream at what I see. Everyone in the cafeteria looks at me and then what I'm looking at and a series of screams break out.

Outside the window across the street I see what looks like several dead men and women limping towards us.

"Zombies" is all I can manage to say and it comes out in a whisper.

Suddenly the loudspeaker comes on.   "ATTENTION ALL STUDENTS AND FACULTY THIS IS AN IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT! A VIRUS THAT WAS BEING TESTED ACCIDENTALLY INFECTED ONE OF THE DOCTORS CAUSING HIM TO BECOME A CANNIBAL AND ATTACK THE OTHER DOCTORS—"

The principal gets interrupted by what sound like a student.

"Fuck the bullshit. It's the fucking apocalypse people save yourselves soon the school will be surrounded. I can see zombies beginning to enter the parking lot and surround the building."

With that the loudspeaker cuts off and everyone panics. People start talking about making a run for their car and why is this happening and what's gonna happen to them and their families. I can't move I am to scared all I can do is stare at my friend's and say "What do we do now?"