Goodbyes

I took a deep breath & put my hand on Nick's knee. "I'm not gonna lie. If you had still been active, I may have had reservations about getting married. But I am so in love with you that I would have, eventually, once I came to my senses." I said, smiling, slightly, but Nick rolled his eyes. "And that is why I'm going to support you, but I'm also going to be scared & upset when you leave. You're just going to have to deal with that."

Nick closed his eyes for a moment & I felt bad because he seemed hurt by what I said. Or maybe he was just frustrated because I said I'd be upset & scared. He spoke up, before his eyes opened. "Demi, there's nothing to be afraid of." He said, with a sigh, as he opened his eyes to look at me.

I looked down & shrugged one shoulder. "I know that, deep down, but I still fear you could end up having to serve in combat if we have another war. It's getting scary out there with all the attacks we've had."

"That's exactly why it's important for me to do this. There is stuff going on that I can't tell you about but it doesn't look as dire, if we can keep our alliances & fight together to prevent further attacks. We're working on peace movements & I'm hopeful." Nick shrugged his shoulders with a confidence I couldn't help but to admire.

"Good. I hope our world can be at peace. The sooner the better. I hope you're part of the movement to bring peace to the world. Now, I am just going to try to forget that I have to say goodbye, to you, in a few days."

Nick leaned to kiss me, but I didn't return the kiss. "You could come visit me, ya know?"

"I'm a week from being in my 3rd trimester so I can't fly." I sighed, frowning.

"You could drive."

"Drive across country? I wouldn't even if I could. I have to work & I'd never drive alone."

"Not alone but maybe Denny would come with ya or your mom. She's only working part time, right now."

"But I can't get off work. I can't drive it in a weekend. Now if you were in San Diego... that's a different story."

Nick pressed his lips together looking like he had no other ideas. "We'll have to Skype or FaceTime I guess."

"I'm really starting to dread goodbyes." I muttered, grabbing my takeout container, so I could try to eat more.

"I'm sorry, baby." Nick said, but I didn't acknowledge his apology. I kept my eyes focused on the tv, to watch whatever we had started to watch, earlier. I had no interest in whatever it was, because I was angry & sad & frustrated. I tried not to be, but I couldn't really help it, especially since my emotions were all over the place with this pregnancy.

Nick & I didn't talk for quite a while, then as he cleaned up our take out mess, he asked if I wanted dessert. I shook my head, not making eye contact. Nick disappeared from the room & I heard his footsteps going down the stairs, so I assumed he was throwing away our takeout containers. I felt bad that I was so upset that I didn't want to talk to him. He was just doing his job. I groaned & laid back on the bed. I was lying there, my hand running through my hair, when I heard the door open.