Chapter 18 - Promise You'll Remember That You're Mine

The sun seemed to be fading away as Emily and Evan walked down the path, past the ancient wall and into a field filled with crisp white daisies and smooth blades of grades which whistled in the breeze. A view of a bridge came into sight; a structure that was alone in the world. It was held together with a thin green frame, enveloped in a soft blood orange rust. Corroded nails jutted out at every angle. The footpath across was made up of planks of wood all of different sizes although many of them were no longer there, leaving gaps which led to an icy body of water below. Murky green and bearing a reflection of the decrepit bridge the water stood still as if it had aged alongside it. Overgrown ivy wrapped itself along the planks and around the fixture adding a kind of eerie beauty to it's composition. Guarding the entrance was a derelict wooden bar across which the words were painted: NO ENTRY.  Even the bar seemed to reflect a certain sense of surrender as if it had given up on the bridge, just like the world had.

'Oh my... why have I never been here before?' Evan spoke, his voice shattered the sinister silence and the sign stared at him urging him to leave.

'I have only ever been here once,' Emily whispered in a soft tone which was rife with anxiety, 'It gave me the shivers.' Evan could tell Emily felt uncomfortable.

'Come on, we have to go and check it out' Evan was fascinated by the captivating image before him. Something about the feeble structure was enchanting, etched with a powerful sense of beauty.

'No we can't, did you not read the sign?' Emily was worried, she knew Evan wasn't going to leave until he had walked along the bridge.

'Please Emily,'  Evan knew he was going to win this argument 'Do it for me.'

Emily sighed, she knew it was better to succumb to the pressure than cause an argument. 'Fine, but you can't let go of me.'

Evan immediately grabbed Emily's hand and guided her under the wooden sign and onto the first plank which felt like it would collapse immediately.

*

Adriana could feel his presence, she knew he was here. Weeks had passed and she felt as though her mind had fully collapsed but the thought that Matt was here again brought a certain sense of hope. Adriana moved quietly to the door straight past her mother and stood in awe as she looked into those soft grey eyes. She couldn't help but get lost in them as she did the night they had met. Adriana felt as though she had been waiting a lifetime. She would have waited a million years if she had to, as long as she could see him again.  

There he stood. His eyes shone like moonlight and his gaze was fixated on Adriana. Wearing a deep blue denim jacket and a similar pair of jeans which had a slightly lighter tone he stood with that smile she had been waiting for. A peppermint aroma floated through the air and sent Adriana into a dreamy haze. Matt's hair still had that dark tinge which she had dreamed about time and time again. He had everything. But most importantly he had Adriana by her heart.

Adriana stood in the doorway in an lilac T-shirt which buried her. A face which seemed drained of all emotion and life stared back at Matt. Although he was shocked he didn't let it show, he came back for Adriana because he couldn't take his mind from the day they had met. She had everything. But most importantly she had Matt by his heart.

*

Willow trees rested their leaves on the top of the bridge shading it from the last rays of sunlight. The sight from the bridge was pure bliss.  Above the sky seemed painted in every shade of blue, the pale pink candyfloss clouds floated as the sun reflected on the water below. A strong sense of wonder shrouded the minds of Emily and Evan as they looked out across the horizon; lost in the beauty of the world.

Evan's arms fitted around Emily's waist as she leant into him breathing in his scent. The trees gave them a moment of privacy as they shared a sweet embrace. Although the bridge was incredibly dangerous the serenity that filled the air made it all worthwhile. Both of them shared the same thought, 'I wish I could just stay here forever.' They soaked up the world together until the sun went down, until the stars begun to reflect in the river and the moonlight shone down on the starlight travellers. A sudden icy chill had infiltrated their privacy and they both knew it was time to leave.

'I'm so glad I found you,' Emily spoke softly shuddering as the cold took her breath away.

'You mean so much to me Emily, I've never met anyone quite like you,' His words were pure and Emily trusted them with her life. Carefully the two of them made their way back under the sign and back the way they had come. As they walked home under the stars they knew it was meant to be, they knew they were meant to be together.

*

'How are you feeling Adriana?' He said, his voice was raspy and filled with consideration.

Adriana stood speechless, she couldn't help herself as walked towards him and put her arms around his neck. If Ashley wasn't standing there she would have had to kiss him right there. Adriana was no longer sinking but swimming upwards towards the surface, no longer an anchor descending deeper into her own ocean of troubles. She trusted him with her life despite the fact they had only spent a couple of hours together, she knew he was the one who was going to fix her life, the one who was going to take away the pain. Adriana was truly ready to begin again.

*

Trust is a curious thing. Some may argue against it's existence at all whereas some believe it is the basis of all relationships. Quite unfortunately trust is one of the most fragile things anyone can possess, something that everyone usually has but is so often broken. Like a precious glass that sits in the cupboard building up dust over time, until one day the cupboard is opened and the glass falls. Within mere the seconds the glass is broken and the shock builds up in the atmosphere. Something so irreplaceable is lost in seconds never to be returned to its original place. Trust builds up over time. Every second, every minute, every hour you spend with someone builds onto the bond between you. It takes years to build up a wall of trust but a single second to have it ripped apart. It takes little time for the glass to fall and end up in a clutter of pieces on the floor. Trust is painful but in life you should trust no one and then you will never be disappointed.