Chapter Sixteen: Status

~from Kirito's POV 1st person~
Suguha came back the next day with touchscreen tablet of some kind and handed it to me wordlessly.
"If it's too hard...you know, to type stuff in...I can do it for you," she offered, but I shook my head.
"This is something...I need to do myself," I said, and she nodded, sensing the mood and leaving me alone with the device.
I went to Google and typed in Sword Art Online and instantly got over a billion hits. I scanned the most recent articles that mentioned players waking up, and after learning nothing, I went back and refined my search and eventually found a master list of all the players.
The list was arranged in a table, with one column listing the player's actual identity, the next column listing the player's handle name, and the third column listing status (alive, dead, missing).
Out of instinct, I scrolled down to the K section and stopped once I saw it.
Kirigawa Kazuto; Kirito; Alive
Finally, I blinked and swallowed before trying another familiar name. It took me a while to find it because I was more familiar with his handle, but eventually, there it was:

Tsuboi Ryōtarō; Klein; Alive

The shock from the wave of familiarity was shorter this time, and I recovered more quickly. I looked up a few more familiar names before trying something harder.
Yuuki Asuna; Asuna; Dead
Again, a wave of pain swept over me, but it was necessary.
I couldn't look up her name until I'd at least gotten past the pain of Asuna's death.
Moving more slowly now, I scrolled, searching each and every handle until I saw it.
Takahiiro Aiko; Olivera; Alive
My hands were shaking so badly that I dropped the tablet. Tears were still spilling down my cheeks when Suguha returned a few minutes later, a cup of water in her hand, and when she saw me crying, she accidentally dropped it, hardly giving it a second glance as she rushed toward me and held my hand.
"What's wrong, Kazuto?" she asked, searching my eyes, and I just shook my head.
After a moment, I highlighted the row with Olivera's information and showed it to Suguha.
She read it quickly, and something flashed through her eyes, but the world was too blurry for me to notice.
"That's...great, Kazuto," she said, but something in her voice sounded broken.
I was too grateful, though, to notice.
She eventually left when she was sure that I was okay, and I just laid there, staring at the ceiling.
Aiko, you're alive.
You're alive...
Thank God, you're alive.
It was hard enough killing you in the virtual world, but if I had killed you forever, I don't know what I would have done with myself...
I can't believe it. I'm still not sure what Akihiko was thinking, but I've never been able to understand him.
Aiko, I want to see you.
I want to see you, in
our world, the real world. I want to see you, hold your hand, hug you...I want to touch you and make sure that you're real.
I hope we can meet soon, Aiko.
I really want to see you...

I eventually went to sleep, feeling impossibly grateful and relieved. Maybe I haven't lost everyone...I still have you left...