Chapter Thirteen: The Last Supper

~from Kirito's POV 2nd person~
Just before you left the next morning, you talked to a shop owner, and she handed you the package you'd ordered last night. Then you set out for the clearing, your footsteps as heavy as your heart.
***
When you got there, you did a quick scan to make sure that none of the front line were lurking in the woods, and after you were satisfied that you and Olivera were alone, you approached her tree. "Olivera?" you asked hesitantly. "Olivera, are you here?"
"I'm over here," she called out softly, and you turned, gasping in shock.
Her hair was wet from a recent bath in the reflection pond, and her clothing was different than normally. Her entire dress was woven together using flowers, the same purple ones from the clearing that she loved so much, and her skin seemed to shine.
"Oh," you finally said, your voice soft, and a light smile graced her face.
"C'mon now," she whispered before fading into the woods, and you hurried after her, following her back to the clearing of flowers, and once more, you could only look on in surprise.
Each of the trees surrounding the clearing was filled with fairies of all colors, their light glow illuminating the area, as dawn had only just barely arrived and the sun was not yet up.
She turned back, smiling at you. "The fairies already know what's going to happen, and they're here to calm me," she said, twisting her neck slightly so she could look at them all. "They've been my friends for these past two years."
She doesn't sound bothered by the fact, but she must have been lonely, you thought to yourself, and you stepped closer to her.
"Kirito?"
"I...I wanted to give you something," you said, looking down. "Close your eyes."
Olivera did as asked, and you pulled up your inventory and pulled out the package that you'd picked up that morning. Inside was a necklace with a charm in the shape of a lotus blossom (). You took the necklace and moved closer to Olivera so you could fashion the necklace around her neck, and as the weight settled on her collarbone, she opened her eyes to find you only a few inches away.
Neither of you wanted to break the silence, and your eyes flicked to hers, asking permission as you leaned in a bit. Olivera just closed her eyes, and after a moment, you leaned in, one of your hands holding her face as you kissed her, slowly, sweetly, gently.
It was a goodbye kiss, a kiss full of farewell, of regret, of longing...just one more day, just one more smile, just one more word...
But the kiss had to end, as all things do in their own time, and when you finally pulled back, both of your hands now holding Olivera's face and her arms wrapped around your neck, the two of you leaned in so your foreheads rested against each other.
After yet another long moment, you both finally pulled away, holding the other's hands, tears in both of yours eyes. Then, with a nod from Olivera, she let go of your hands and took a step back so she was in the middle of all the flowers. Closing her eyes, she knelt down in the purple blossoms (I kind of see them as fractal dahlias ), bowing her head slightly, and then she looked up and opened her eyes. "I'm ready," she whispered, and just then, the sun hit the horizon, lighting up her face and illuminating the glowing flowers.
You nodded, swallowing. "Close...close your eyes," you whispered, and she hesitated.
"But I want to see you until the last second," she replied, and I shook my head.
"I don't want you to see this," you said, your voice pained, and after a moment, she nodded slightly, shutting her eyes.
Then you pulled out Elucidator () and held it in your trembling hands for a second before you took an offensive stance. Then you tried to even out your breathing, but it was no use; this was not going to be easy. You didn't want it to be. To know that you could kill a fellow human being so easily...that was when you would become the real monster. To keep sight of yourself, you would swallow the pain. You had to.
You closed your eyes for a second, inhaling deeply, and then your eyes flicked open. "I love you, Aiko," you whispered, just loud enough for her to hear, and then you swung your blade.