Chapter Three

~C H A P T E R   T H R E E ~

The vampires down below whispered to one another but just loud enough for Cody and me to hear. I tried to keep my heartbeat down and steady but I knew that wouldn’t work; if they sniff us out we’ll be dead in a heartbeat and that that is short.

“They’re numbers are going up Liam.” One of them in a black cloak  said to another one which was Noble Liam.

“They’re not as strong as us numbers won’t help them one bit.” Another said, his voice was raspy and sounded very dark and deep. They all looked around the dark gloomy woods as if they knew someone was watching them, which we were.

“What if they get the wizards on their side? Then what?” Another one stepped into the conversation, his voice was less deep but still deeper than Cody’s. Cody doesn’t have a deep voice people would think he would have, it’s just in the middle of a seventh grade boy’s voice and a tenth grade boys voice. Not too low or too high just right.

“They’ll have us and we have powers with us on their side we’ll when for sure, plus wizards die easily just like humans. One bite and they’re dead.” Another said, his voice sounded different form the others I heard his sounded more Irish maybe than British.

“Niall’s right guys, one bite and they’re dead, so when the time comes we must take the wizards out first if we can.” They all nodded and stood there as if talking to one other without saying anything.

I looked at Cody with fear in my eyes, I wanted out of here and now. I knew this ground like no other, Cody and I would always go and find food out in these woods and if we run a little bit more we’re come to the Dark woods and that’s where we could hide. There’s too many smells in those woods that they could lose our sent, the problem is, is how are we getting down without them hearing us?

Cody looked around the tree then to the other side of the tree and pointed to it, another tree just arms-length was right next to this one. I knew what Cody was thinking and the plan could work.

We were going to jump trees.

Cody went first moving slowly as I watched to make sure the vampires down below didn’t hear him. He moved as slow as a snail making sure he put his hands in the right place so nothing falls down to the ground. He jumped ever so slowly to the other tree making the birds fly off the tree, my eyes widened and I peeked down to see the vampires looking in every direction.