cuatro

the next day michael goes back to work, hoping that luke will pay him a visit after last night's kiss. at this point michael cannot stop thinking about luke and he wishes he could stop so that he could focus on something more important. michael tries everything. he tries everything in his power to not think about the way that luke kissed him back last night. it's virtually impossible.

two weeks pass and there has been no sign of luke. michael has been wondering what he had done to wrong luke and if there was any way that he would have been able to fix it. he decides after these two weeks to text luke to see what was going on. it was weird but he seemed to miss having luke's presence in the quiet sex store.

ever since luke had not come back to the store there had been about 3 customers in total and it was as dull as ever. the first customer that had come in had come in two days after he had kissed luke. they walked around and asked if they had any regular condoms which made michael wonder why they wouldn't have just gone to a grocery store to buy them instead of going out of their way to go specifically to the only sex store on what probably would have been on the other side of town.

the second customer had come about 4 days after this on a thursday looking to buy handcuffs and handcuffs only, which michael saw as weak. he thought that if you're going to experiment with any sex toys you might as well go full out and buy anything you can, rather than just boring old handcuffs. michael knew that he shouldn't be one to judge others, but he couldn't help himself. michael was way too kinky to even consider vanilla sex, let alone just using handcuffs in bed. thinking about kinkier things reminded michael of luke and how badly he wanted to corrupt him. after thinking about this for a minute, it reminded michael of how luke quickly left that night and never returned to the store. this left a sad empty feeling in his chest, but michael just shook it off and continued working.

the third customer that had shown up at the store caught michael's eye and actually made his week better and made him forget about luke for a while. he told michael that his name was ashton and he was a few years older than michael. michael was not complaining. he made a few purchases that made michael raise his eyebrows. as ashton was about to leave the store, he says, "i'll be back tomorrow. and i'm taking you on a date."

michael was so in shock that he didn't even respond with words; he just nodded his head in what seemed to be an approval of some sort, even though he'd known that he had no decision in the matter. this didn't bother michael though, as he was excited to see what ashton was about.

when ashton returns as michael's boss calum was closing the store, michael is out back and does not know that ashton had returned for their date.

"hey, you must be calum? have you seen michael anywhere?" asks ashton. he looks confused as to why michael is not out the front helping his manager. calum responds nervously, explaining that michael had gone home early as he was not feeling too well. ashton flashes a look of sadness across his happy face, quickly covering his sadness with concern.

he asks, "is he okay? i will come back and see him next week to check up on him, just let him know that i'm stopping by please." calum agrees to do this for the stranger and asks him to leave the store as he is about to close up for the night. a few minutes later, michael returns from the back and finishes closing up for calum so that he can pack up to go and see ashton after his shift. when michael finishes everything for close, he goes into calum's office and asks if ashton came around to the store to pick him up. calum tells him that he hadn't seen him at all and that 'he seems like a flakey dude' and that he should 'just head home' instead of waiting around for ashton to end up not showing up at all.

michael takes calum's advice and doesn't think anything else of it. he gets in his car and drives home in silence, wondering again about the blonde boy and reliving the moment they kissed again and again in his head, until michael soon realised he was driving with no destination in mind. michael decides against driving home for the minute and drives to the beach so that he would be able to sit and think outside for a few hours, rather than doing this same activity confined within the four walls of his nostalgia-drawing bedroom.

he parks on the side of the road, enabling himself to have a lengthy walk towards the shore that was soon to become his chosen place of peace. as he reaches the shore, he walks for a short while and sits down on the warm summer sands of the quiet beach. he watches the waves rise and crash, and how they remind him of the suddenness within his and luke's relationship; more specifically how quickly it started and how quickly it ended. luke had entered his life so suddenly and made such a huge impact in such a small way and michael had no idea how he let the small boy effect his day to day life so badly.

on the other side of this beach, a small blonde boy is sitting in his car with the windows down with soft music playing in the background, watching the waves rise and crash. they remind him of a certain someone, and how the waves represented the sudden start and end to their abrupt relationship. the person he is in deep thought about had entered his life so suddenly and had completely inserted themselves as a huge part of their life in such a short time. but this couldn't happen. the infatuation couldn't happen; it had ruined everything with the last person they had had this type of relationship with. luke was so afraid of getting completely broken by anyone ever again, and he did his best to shut off anyone who could come close to hurting him again.

michael wondered what he did to hurt the poor boy, and the loud waves crashing against each other only made michael want to cry. he would not allow himself that release though, he liked the pain that came along with aching for the shy blonde boy, and would do anything that meant he could hold onto some aspect of luke.

luke so badly wanted to see michael again. he needed to. he internally screamed within himself, repeatedly reminding himself that michael was only going to hurt him and cause him pain if he allowed whatever they were to continue. luke soon won his own civil war within his mind and drove himself to michael's doorstep. he didn't leave his car, let alone knock on michael's door. he waited. he tried to build himself up to something that he was inevitably not going to do. he sat there, contemplating if this was all worth it.

after about twenty minutes of sitting in his car in silence, he hears a tap on his window. luke closes his eyes and tries to pretend it wasn't real, and that he hadn't really heard the light tapping. the noise happens again, this time a hard knock. luke coaxes himself slowly to open his eyes and slowly turns his head toward his driver's window, only to see the one person he was definitely not ready to face.

"luke?"