Sirena Cove

Sirena Cove      

Galveston, Texas

     I hear someone enter our comfort room downstairs and I bolt awake. Neither my mom nor I use that room at the middle of the night. I wear my fluffy slippers and silently walk outside my bedroom. I approach the stairs like a cat until I see the light from the bathroom where I think I heard someone come in. I see mom’s slippers. What is she doing here in the middle of the night?

     The first thing that comes in my mind is her work. She has been infatuated about this telekinesis project of hers. When she told me that she had done it, I was glad and at the same time felt doubt about the existence of such supernatural phenomenon.

      I get in her office and feel like I just violated a rule. The lights are on which means she was here. I hear machines beeping. The ambience is like in a hospital. I see a girl, lying down too perfectly on a bed surrounded by glass. I go near her and she looks sound asleep. I open a portion of the glass surrounding her. And the face I see is not what I expect.

     Oh, no. What did mom do? Was she used as an experiment? I hope not. This is a magnanimous mistake! Mom is crazy!

     The conversation mom and Pam— Drew’s mom— had during the dinner night they planned comes back to me. Drew and I were on a distant table from them but I overheard their talk which I wish I wasn’t able to listen to.

      “I hear you are retiring, am I right?” Pam asks.

     “Yes, I actually am. So are you?” mom asks.

      “Oh, yes. I guess this year is the retirement year.” They both laugh.

     Mom looks serious. “Anyway, about my project which I suppose you have read about?” Pam nods. “Well, I would love to ask a favor if you may allow me.”

     “It depends on the favor. If I could, why wouldn’t I help you? So what is it?”

     Mom says with a shaky voice, “I need subjects to test my project.”

     Mom receives no answer and I could say Pam is thinking twice or maybe even thrice about it. But she says, “I don’t think I am fully authorized to allow myself to give you subjects. It could risk lives, Marie.”

     “I am absolutely sure that my project is safe and ready to go. But I couldn’t prove it to anyone, especially to Ms. Cavelly about it.”

     I stare into Kaye’s innocent and peaceful face. When she wakes up, the future ahead of her will be very challenging. I think of Drew and how much this could affect his friendship with her and ours. I couldn’t just stand here and think of the negative possibilities. I must take action.

     I release Kaye from the leather straps pinning her down and see a button that I think will automatically remove the needles from her skin. I press it and it works. I could feel myself tinge from the pain it can cause. Without delay, I pick Kaye up with my own feeble arms. I harness the strength I have and hope I can until I can bring her somewhere else. I don’t know where but I have to get both of us out of here. Luckily, mom is still in the bathroom. I whisper her to keep quiet even though she looks asleep just to make sure. I move quickly and sleekly. Sneaking out is never my thing and thanks to Kaye I get to do it even just for once.

     I reach the front door and open it. Good thing it doesn’t squeak or else mom would be out from the bathroom, shouts my name, and I’ll drop Kaye on the ground for good.

     I step out on our foyer, close the door and jog out on the sidewalk, barefooted. No one should be looking out from their windows. They might be thinking I am a hooligan. I jog with Kaye on my arms, still shockingly asleep, for some distance until I feel my lungs burning. I stop somewhere between my house and Drew’s house. I position her on the sidewalk. I feel horrible doing so but I have no choice. Mom could be looking for me now.

     “Don’t tell anyone what happened or what’s going to happen to you. If you do, you’re not the only one who’s going to be in danger. Never mind thanking me, it’s going to be useless. I have to leave you here. I’m sorry,” I say feeling bad about everything that is happening.

     I run back to my house and as I step in, mom’s angry stature greets me. I gasp at her presence. I close the door and pusillanimously walk towards her.

      I speak first, “Mom, what you did is absolutely wrong.”

     “You don’t know anything about what I did, Rena!” Is she really such a freak about this?

     A tear drops from my eye. “I know you used her as a subject, mom. Don’t you know? She’s Kaye. She’s Drew’s best friend. Now don’t tell me you don’t know Drew.”

     She looks frightened. “What?” she whispers with disbelief.

     “That’s right. I can’t believe how cruel you are to just use someone out there and test them!”

      “You increased the risk of danger, Rena!”

     “Right, she could be cold hard dead wherever I placed her. Okay, mom. I’m sorry!” I apologize sarcastically.

      I cry more and I don’t know exactly why. But the only thing in my thoughts right now is how my relationship with Drew is going to be messed up. No matter how much I pray and hope it won’t be as bad as what I am thinking, I know it’s inescapable. Pandemonium will eventually happen.

      “I am not allowed to see him anymore, am I right?” I ask mom without the courage to face her.

      “No,” she answers unexpectedly and I tilt my head up. “You have to watch her. It was your choice to put her away from my care. I am not the only one who has responsibility over her now. Do you understand?” mom says with fear in her eyes.

      I nod and after unbearable moments of being in front of her, I wish her a good night sleep and head back to my bedroom.

      Sleeping will never be the same for me again. If I didn’t go downstairs earlier, none of this would have happened. But mom is also one to blame anyway. Yet no matter how much I want to kill myself or turn back the time, I can’t. The only choice I have is to face the troubles mom created and set things straight alone the way.