Chapter Five

Four weeks passed from that incident and things were getting back to some normality. I was being nicer to Kevin but he didn't ask me out. Anytime he seen me, he would smile warmly at me and wave. I smiled back, a little bit sad, but happy too. He would send me emails about random things but it always turned into long, deep conversations and I looked forward to those everyday. When he wasn't in work, I noticed and felt kind of empty when he wasn't there.

I kept thinking about him outside of work too. He added me on Facebook and we continued conversations there, until I gave him my cell number. We texted a lot and when my phone went off, I was happy.
I thought about all the times I was horrible to him. I'm such a stubborn ass! I thought what it would be like to even have one date with him, but he might think I'm crazy if I ask him out after all that time I spent ranting at him.

We had a meeting later that day and Kevin and I were running late thanks to difficult customers. We both got in the elevator to go to the training rooms on 12. We were comparing the two when the elevator stopped suddenly. He pressed a few buttons rapidly but nothing. We called down to the lobby and they said due to the heat the generator overloaded and maintenance were working on it. They took our names and ID numbers to notify the correct people. I began to panic slightly as being in a small space for so long got to me. Kevin was comforting me as best as possible but nothing really worked, until he hugged me tightly. I was surprised but I relaxed holding onto him. His back felt muscular and strong as his muscles twitched under my touch. I stopped moving my fingers and gripped his shirt, shutting my eyes tight. He held me around my waist tightly with his other hand rubbing my back up and down, hushing into my hair. I felt at least two kisses being planted on my head and I blushed.
"You OK?" He asked, muffled by my hair.
"Yeah, I think so." I replied muffled by his shirt and he loosened his grip on me. He looked down, smiled at me and brushed my hair, hanging down my face, behind my ear. He had just inadvertently stroked my cheek but he didn't notice. I blushed a deep red and fully detached from him, sitting on the floor, fanning myself with my hands. He loosened his tie and sighed.
"Damn. The temperatures going up, that's not good." He looked worried.
"We'll be fine. They'll have it fixed in no time." I regret saying those words.

An hour and a half goes by and still nothing. It was so hot in the elevator that we were both sweating badly.
"Oh God I can't take this!" I snapped and started unbuttoning my shirt. I felt his hands grab mine to stop them. I looked at him at he looked very embarrassed. I chuckle and swat him away. "I'm wearing a tank top underneath so we're fine." I showed him the strap and he seemed to relax.

My tank top was a bit low cut and sweat gleamed from my bosom. He must have noticed this as I caught him staring so I punched him in the arm and he looked away. 10 minutes pass and we felt the air conditioning spring to life. The lobby told us to hang for 10 minutes whilst operations configured the elevators. I put my shirt back on as I had cooled down and Kevin looked somewhat disappointed. We felt the elevator moving up and then dinged at 12. People got into the lift, pushing me and Kevin to the back. As it went from floor to floor, I could feel Kevins hand sneak its way around mine and squeeze it. I looked up to see him smile at me and I smiled at him. We let go as the elevator stopped at our floor and we got out. He was about to walk off when I blurted out, "I'll do it!"

He stopped turned and looked at me, with mild confusion.
"OK. Erm, do what?"
"I'll go out on a date with you...if you still want to, that is!" I panicked slightly and blushed. I cast my eyes down and blushed. "I know that I was horrible to you and that I have no right to but--"
"Yes. Yes I still want to go out on a date with you." I looked up and he was smiling happily. My blush deepened and I looked down again. "I'll text you with the details?" He asked, a happy tone in his voice and I nodded rapidly not looking up as I was still blushing wildly. "OK, I'll see you around." I looked up and seen his warm steady gaze and I smiled at him.

"Oh you are so cheating! That's not fair!" I exclaimed as his mortal combat character killed mine for the fourth time in a row. He laughed and gave me a cocky smile.
"Practice makes perfect!" And he made his fingers into guns, blew imaginary smoke from their barrels and holstered them. I rolled my eyes and tried to hide my smile with my coke. This was Kevin and my first date and we decided to go to the arcade. We had already played a lot of the games and a few rounds of pool and we started to get hungry. There was a Pizza Hut just down the block and we decided that would be best.

We ordered and discussed our all time favourite arcade games. We talked for a few hours and left. It was still too early to call off the date: I was having so much fun and I knew he was too. We decided to go to O'Sheas for a few drinks and we spoke more about family, friends, home life, food and anything else we could think of. He was the perfect gentleman the entire time and the most he did was hold my hand. Which he didn't let go of unless he had to. His blue eyes shone brightly at me and I got embarrassed by their intensity easily. I looked away and smiled. He noticed this.

"What? What's wrong?" He sounded a little concerned.
"It's...it's nothing. I'm being silly!" I dismiss it and wave my hand lazily but he persists with it.
"This isn't the first time today you've done this." I shot him a glance. "Oh, I noticed! C'mon, tell me."
"Well...this is gonna sound so stupid, but...the way you look at me? Sometimes, I feel...shy." I said quietly but he heard every word.
"Don't be shy. You're an incredibly, beautiful woman, Briana. Inside and out." I felt him stroking my hand and I blushed again but I was very happy. I hadn't been this happy on a date since my first date with...

"Oh no." I whispered, feeling my face drains of colour.
"What's wrong? Briana?" Kevin was very worried now and placed his free hand on my shoulder and kept stroking my other hand. But I couldn't say anything, my throat felt so dry. My eyes went dark (or so Kevin told me later) as I locked eyes with the bastard who had given me shit in the first place. But I wanted to leave.
"Can...can we go, now, please?" I pleaded with Kevin as I gripped his hand tightly. But still he wouldn't drop it.
"What is wrong with you? Why did you tense--"
But it was too late. His voice interrupted Kevins and my blood ran cold.
"Hello, Briana." Owen greeted me and I really wanted to run.