Twenty One

I button up my black shirt and close the belt fitted around my waist. For some odd reason I'm nervous about going to see Rosie. It's been too long and I haven't any excuse why I hadn't stopped by anymore. I used to be over there often but after I bought her hotel and my company began to rise I couldn't seem to get over there.

I stare at myself in the mirror until Marisa comes up behind me. She wipes off my shoulders as she smiles.

"You look nice today is it for Vanessa perhaps?"

"No." I adjust my collar. "It's because I'm going to see Rosie. Now stop with this Vanessa thing that's over already move on." She sighs and curtly leaves the room. I shake my head in response to her exit.

I remember the day that Theresa hired her. She hired her in hopes of no longer having to care for me. I don't know when or why but just one day Theresa started to hate me. I thought my dad had put her onto it but honestly my father was hardly speaking with her at that point. I later figured he had nothing to do with it, because she was mean to me even when he wasn't around to see.

I got in my car and drove through town before making my way to the city. I drove over the water focusing my attention to the familiar buildings. All the buildings somehow looked the same. Just slight differences. If it weren't for the numbers on the houses and the differences in the lawn you wouldn't know whose home was who's.

I pulled into the drive way. I stepped out the car smelling the shit smell in the air. Her neighbor most likely just put fresh manure down to make his grass look healthy.

I knocked at the door before noting the door bell clearly beside it. Then took a step away from the door. Mitch came to the door and she was following behind him. She smiled her dimples prominent in her cheeks. The lines by her eyes, on her cheeks, and chin showed her aging. She hugged me before pulling back and running her hand on the back of her short cut hair.

She smiled, "D it's been too long."

I held my head down not looking her in the eyes, "I know, I've been so tied up lately."

"I know...I know that business better than anyone." She places her hand on her hips, "You taking care of my business."

"I haven't changed much of your designs just made it more modern."

"I appreciate that D. But I didn't bring you here for business talk. I want you too meet my newest love. Her name is Emily." She looked up the stairs before calling, "Em! Come on down come meet your half brother!"

Emily walked down her eyes slim and her hair long and black. She is most likely Korean. I smile at her as she smiles at me.

"Hi." She says her voice light. She reached me and hugs me, "Besides Mitch, I've never had a brother before."

I nod, "I've never had a sister before."

Rosie grabs onto me and Emily and pulls Mitch as she screams, "Family group hug!" It's not that we are in anyway blood related but through Rosie we are. She finds straggler kids and takes us in. She did it for Mitch. She's done it for me, and now Emily.

Mitch pulls back, "Alright enough, let's eat I'm starving."

We sat at the dinner table enjoying an early dinner and talking over our glasses. Rosie seemed far too interested in our lives then I was more comfortable sharing. So instead of engaging in conversation about myself I let Mitch do his usual constant chatter. The man never stopped talking about himself. But he liked to talk and Rosie couldn't find it in herself to ask him to shut up. Usually I would have but as I said. I didnt want to share.