Ch. 27

We rode into the village in the hight of its attack, Elis, Mosi, and Salina commanded orders to the warriors and Nazim lead them through. Sections broke off to fight the winter knights that were burning down the homes they just raided and fighting off families trying to protect themselves.

     The look on most of the knights faces showed no guilt, the majority of them have turned off their voice of reason for the raiding. All around me was chaos once the summer warriors began fighting back. Although the winter knights held their ground and showed no mercy. This was exactly the type of thing Mosi and Salina warned me about but I didn't listen, I had refused to listen. To believe my own people wouldn't follow me into a better life. But here they were, fighting for my mother, and enjoying it.

     Everyone was screaming for someone, I didn't know where to start. But from the corner of my eye I saw that Ray did. He didn't join the fight like I thought he would do -like his sister did- instead he went into the homes of the burning houses and began pulling families out one by one. It wasn't until he stayed to long in a house that I began to worry for him.

     So I decided to finally move, snap out of my shock and do something. I got off Raven with Nuri right beside me and entered the home Ray had went into. The smoke darkened the night even more, practically blinding me, but the sound of metal hitting each other and the grunts of men lead me up the stairs to find Ray fighting two of the knights.

     Ray was backed into the corner while the two knights attacked him at the same time, but Ray was managing to keep them both at bay.

     "Stop!" I yelled to the knights, and at hearing my voice they halted.

     Their eyes grew when they finally saw me, or maybe it was Nuri, who was ready to tear their throats out, either way they froze while I charged at them and grabbed them both by their throats and pinned them to the wall.

     "Did you or did you not meet with the knight Liam?"

     "Y-yes princess, but we thought he was..."

     "Lying?"

     They didn't reply to me, "Or did you just not care about what came out of his mouth because my mothers has all of you bribed?"

     "Why do you care what happens to these people Princess? They are our enemies, this will be our new land," coughed out the braver one to my right.

     "Because these are my people too," I released them both and let them watch me as I diminished the fire in the house in seconds, with the smoke clearing out as well. The fire from the house was gone and the two knights just watched me, the braver one with more of a curiosity.

    "Now," with my right hand I made a blue fire dagger, with my left I made an ice one and held it up to their throats, "I have the problem of keeping you two alive or not. Because I will not spare the lives of knights who are not loyal to me and only to me. I will not have knights that can be easily bribed and bought out, and I will not have cowards who need to be bribed in order to fight for me anywhere near a sword and shield, do you both understand."

     "Yes Princess," they said in unison.

     "Good," I turned to Ray, my long braid tickling as it moved along my back, "Should I kill them? I think I should kill them."

     "If you don't then I will, if I don't then someone out there will, if they don't then your mother will."

     "Seems like you two boys don't have very many options."

     And I meant it too, these were just boys who looked no older than twenty. The one to my left started crying and whispering to be spared, the one to my right made no movement at all.