Ch. 6

The food was finished a little while after so Ray and I went to help set the table. Once I enter the kitchen the smell of new food made my mouth water. We set the plates and served ourselves. There wasn't much food for three people, so I only took a small amount. To be honest, I was just curious as to how this tasted, if it smelled good I'm betting it was going to be delicious.

     Ray saw how little I had on my plate and looked me up and down, "No, you need to eat more," and made a grab for my plate, but I pulled it out of his reach.

     "No I don't. I get full fast," I relied.

     Zinnia stared me up and down too and sighed, "Look I can tell from your clothes that you come from a poor family," Ray was about to stop Zinnia but she help up one hand and continued talking," so you probably didn't eat much. But it's okay for you to eat, we have plenty."

     It was generous of them, really, but I'm not going to take it when I really don't need it. I was about to reject her offer when Ray took my plate and added more food onto it and then placed it down where I was sitting.

     "There now eat," he commanded.

     "Fine, but I'm not going to eat it all."

     "Stop being stubborn," Zinnia replied.

     I looked at her, but really looked at her. Her body wasn't just skin and bones like most villagers in winter, no she had curves and beautiful dark sun kissed skin - that I was a little jealous of because I need to work on my tan while I'm here. Even though I'm dark skinned like them, winter has kept me from having that sun glow. I probably do look sick to them - and yeah she had an automatic bitch face but if she smiled she looked happy. And over all she look healthy. 

     And peaking a glance over at Ray, he was built and strong and that type of body only comes from being fed properly and taking care of yourself. Even though it's only them two, they've managed to maintain themselves without struggling.

     I sighed as if I was admitting defeat and took a big bite with everything on it. And it was glorious. The chicken wasn't dry, and the herbs! Something that just enhanced the flavor of it, who would of thought. And the vegetables, steaming them softened them but the crunch was still there. I wish that this was available to the citizens of winter, they would love it. Maybe this is why trading with other seasons is so important. Although I'm not really sure what winter has to trade back.

     I took my time eating, taking exactly forty bites before swallowing and moving the food around. It didn't help that no one was talking, not even Ray. So when Zinnia and Ray finished their plates I gave them mine.

     "See like I said, I don't need much."

     "Seriously Nova-" Ray began to say.

    "Fine, your loss, I'll finish it," Zinnia said taking the plate.

     After that it felt awkward being in there, I didn't belong there so I guess my stay here was up.

     "Well I'll be leaving now, I got my rest, Zinnia thanks for the food. And thank you for letting me into your home. Best of wishes to you guys," I said, and made my way to the door.

     For the second time that day Ray grabbed my arm, making me stop.

     "No you haven't rested, you just got here. And Zinnia still has to give you some clothes and-"
Zinnia looked up from her plate,"I'm going to do what?"

     "You're going to give her some clothes for the rode," Ray said.

     "The summers sun I'm not, she can't even fit into my clothes. They'll weigh her down, and we both can see that she has no muscle to hold the extra weight up."

     Ray was going to speak but I beat him to it,"No it's fine I didn't ask anything from you guys its fine. I've taken enough already. Keep your clothes, keep your money - I'll be fine on my own."

     "Nova don't," he hesitated to think of something,"Help me shop in the village today, it'll give you a chance to get stuff for yourself too. And then when we come back Zinnia will have some clothes for you."

     Ray looks at his sister with a serious face, "Okay fine, whatever. She'll get my old clothes," Zinnia said.

     "What's wrong with this?" I said showing off my dress.

     Zinnia looks at me with a full mouth of food, "It's like I said earlier."

     Oh, so this really was a whores outfit. Oops. Really don't want to show up to the castle in this.

     "No my little star," Ray said with a smile on his face, "it's just that you can dress...better?"

     I laughed, "Okay fine, I'll change later. Let's go down to the shops then."

     Ray opened the door for me then, "after you my lady."

    "Oh shut it," I say, giving him a little nudge out the door.

     He just laughs and we make our way to the shopping area in the center of the village. There was a big crowd and seeing so many strangers like this was a little over whelming, but no one even took a second glance my way. There was stands for everything, food, fabrics, house items and my favorite, weapons.

     I walk to that one once Ray was to busy buying some food to notice I was gone. I didn't have any money, and as a Princess I wasn't going to beg, but with my sneaky fingers I didn't need too. Most of the weapons were small and seemed easy enough for me to hide in my dress, but all of them were designed so colorfully. With gems and dramatic gold designs, it wasn't a bad thing, just made it harder to hide if the wind wanted to lift up my already to short dress.

     Finally I found the dagger that I liked, it had golden swirls all around with a line of white gem stones on the hilt. It reminded me of a mixture between summer and winter, it was me in a weapon form. And I had to have it.

     I noticed that the villager who was selling watermelon had a lose leg on her cart, just giving it a little hard tap will cause it to break, the watermelons would roll and a crowd would form around us. People would be distracted and then just like that, I'm invisible.

     I look around for Ray one more time and saw him two carts away looking for me in the wrong direction. I walk to the lady with the watermelons and proceed with the plan and hit the table a little harder than I needed it to. People scattered out of the way as the heavy fruit started to roll around, but my force caused the apple cart on our right to break too.

     Oh well, bonus distraction for me. I rush over to where my precious dagger was waiting for me and without making it obvious I grab it and went down onto the floor like I'm helping to clean up the mess like the other villagers. I tuck it under my dress and tie it to my upper thigh, when I stand off the ground brushing the dirt off me it's hidden safely.

    And for the villagers, they really are that nice here. I thought people were just going to steal the food and run but no, they're giving it back to the owners. Whatever, not my problem. Although I did snag an green apple while I was at it and snuck off behind a building to try it.

    I've had red apples in winter before, they tasted pretty good so I thought I would like this one, and at first I did. My first bite was juicy, but then the sourness of it seemed through - yuck. I spit out the chewed up apple and threw the remainder to the ground. Nope, don't like the green ones.

    "So you stole something that you don't even like, and just threw it away?" Ray said angrily behind me.