Chapter 48.

Niall.

I drummed my fingers against the work top, biting my thumbnail as I waited impatiently for Liam and Erin. When he came down, he had Erin hoisted up on his arm, Erin clinging on to his tight, dark t-shirt. A SnapBack covered his head and he smiled a little at me as he walked down.

"Are you ready?" I asked him and he nodded, pulling Erin's pink polka dot anorak around her more closely. Summer was nearing its end and despite the fact it was still quite warm outside, it was pouring with rain. I took Erin out of Liam's arms and headed out to the car, setting her in the car seat. We were going on our annual shopping trip as we were running out of foods and goods.

When we arrived at the supermarket, Liam got a double trolley and helped me set Erin in the mini seat. Few words had been exchanged between us since the "incident" with Simon two weeks ago. Liam tried to talk some sense into me, giving me loads of offers of what was best for Erin but I wasn't having it. Erin was coming with us and that was final. Only I- and obviously Liam- could look after her. Liam had given up some time earlier on this week and we weren't to speak to Simon for a little while now. Which was good, for me. He agitated me so much and half of the time I couldn't handle it. Liam was beginning to see how angry I was getting at Simon saying horrible things about our family but quite frankly, he was too scared to do anything about it. He stayed clear from the topic of Simon and didn't utter any other words to me, afraid that I'd lash out on him if I did. Bless him though, he's just trying to do what he thought was best.

Liam and I received a few awkward glances from people pasting by which I done my best to ignore, but it was hard. We were half way through our shopping trip when I couldn't take t anymore. Liam was grabbing a bag of grapes and I was waiting with Erin at the trolley when I overheard a couple talking about Erin. My head snapped up and I looked at them. "I'm sorry, what was that?" I asked politely and their eyes widened and their eyes widened, their cheeks turning crimson. Liam's head turned round and he was by my side on seconds. "We didn't say anything." The girl replied shyly and I scoffed.

"You mentioned my daughter's name. I heard you. What did you say?" I asked, bawling my hands into fists as I began to get impatient. Liam came up behind me then, setting a firm hand in my waist. "Niall." He warned, but I shrugged him off and he sighed, stumbling backwards a few steps. I'm sorry, Liam. My eyes were glaring at the man, a protective stance next to his wife. "We were just saying that we feel sorry for Erin." He admitted hesitantly and I froze. "Why would you feel sorry for Erin? She's not even a part of your life." I pointed out and he sighed deeply.

"We just think she could have a better life. Growing up, I mean. She'll get bulled when she does, especially being raised up by two gays." He snorted and my jaw clenched at his words. I shook my head in disbelief at him, letting out a cold scoff before I turned round, only to punch the man hard in the nose. He didn't even see it coming. Nobody did. A small circle had formed around us and his wife squealed loudly, jumping with fright as the man fell to the ground, clutching his bloody nose. I stepped forward again but I felt two strong hands wrap around my arms, pulling me back as the woman helped her husband up. "Liam, fuck off! Let me go!" I protested, using all my strength to break free but Liam was hell of a lot stronger than me.

"Niall, you're making a scene. This will reflect badly on all of us. Think about what you're doing." He spoke calmly in my ear, sending shivers down my spine. I whimpered softly, stubbornly freeing myself from Liam and walking our of the supermarket, leaving Liam with Erin.

A few days later, I found myself paying a visit to Harry. He smiled at me and opened the door, stepping aside to let me in. Erin was sitting on my arm, gazing after Harry as he took us into the kitchen. "I need you to babysit Erin tonight. If that's okay with you." I added hopefully and he beamed. "Of course it is! She's my favourite baby girl." He grinned, kissing her on the cheek and taking her out my arms. I sighed with relief and Harry stopped, frowning at me.

"Is there something wrong?" He asked curiously and I bit my lip, hesitating. "I suppose you know what happened at there supermarket." I started matter-of-factually. "Yeah, about that...you might wanna read the paper, mate." Harry said sympathetically, handing me over today's record flipped open at the page and I began to read:

"One Direction's Niall Horan was caught getting physical with a random couple during a shopping spree at the supermarket. Baby Erin and Daddy Liam accompanied him and nothing seemed out of the ordinary...that was until Niall overheard a couple saying some hateful and disrespectful things about his family and he ended up punching the husband in the face, giving him a nosebleed. The wife remained unharmed but the man was taken into casualty late that night. Sources say that what the man said was quite hurtful and homophobic and that Niall had every reason to lash out him but Liam was the only one that remained calm, trying to sooth Niall down as much as possible and Niall then later left, leaving Liam with Baby Erin. Niall refused to make any more comments about the subject. Wow. Touchy, much? In other news, their band mate, Harry Styles, managed to knock up an old friend called Ellis, which had been kept hidden a secret for four months solid; the secret started to spill out once Ellis started to show. It has been said that Harry had been keeping in touch with Ellis for over two years and-"

The paper was snatched off me and Harry tossed it across the work top. I stared at him, wide eyed. "You knocked someone up?!" I shouted, gob smacked and Harry groaned, looking defeated. "It wasn't planned! And you, of all people, should know that condoms don't work more than half of the time." Harry spat defensively and I sighed a little. "But that was four months ago...why didn't you say anything?" I asked, sounding surprised and Harry shook his head. "Because Erin was just born at the time and we all thought you were gonna die because of it- I didn't wanna cause anymore hassle." Harry admitted softly and I chuckled.

"You can talk to us any time Harry, you know that." I assured him and he smiled weakly. "I know. I just needed a little bit of a time out, giving everything that happened...I needed some time away so I went to visit her." Harry admitted, sounding almost ashamed of himself. "I understand. But what are you gonna do about the baby?" I asked curiously and he shrugged his shoulders. "I suppose I can keep in touch with Ellis, but...it will be hard with all the touring and stuff. The kid at least deserves to know its father, I know that much." Harry added with a snort and I smirked. "I'm so jealous of you right now." I admitted and Harry raised an eyebrow. "Why?" He asked shortly.

"Because your situation is a lot simpler than mine. I envy you." I replied and Harry rolled his eyes. "There's no need to envy me. At least you get to see your kid, I'll barely get to see mine." He sighed, his voice distant. "Hey, you've got Erin to make up for that!" I joked and he laughed. "Couldn't want more, eh?" He smirked, grinning at Erin who grinned back. "Right, I need to go...talk to Liam and stuff. Take care of Erin, yeah?" I smiled, kissing Erin on the cheek and Harry smiled back. "Don't worry. We'll have fun, won't we?" Harry cooed excitedly to Erin and I laughed, heading out of Harry's house.

When I reached the flat, Liam had just came down the stairs. Our eyes met, both of us exchanging awkward glances. He them glanced behind me, as if expecting someone. "Where's Erin?" He asked, sounding disappointed. "I left her with Harry." I explained and Liam snorted. "Didn't know that was such a good idea." He joked and I laughed. My smile faded as I watched him head upstairs and I followed him, two steps at a time. "Liam?" I called and he turned round as I entered the room.

"We need to talk."I finally sighed and he blanched, giving me a confused look. "Okay..." He said uncertainly and I gestured for us to sit on the bed. I faced him, both of our legs crossed and he watched me anxiously, big brown eyes staring back at me. "I wanna say I'm sorry." I began and Liam opened his mouth to protest but I stopped him. "Just shut up and listen." I told him firmly and he smirked. "I'm sorry I've out you through hell these past few months and you have every right to walk out this door and never come back." I told him and he frowned further.

"Why would I do that, after keeping my promise for you?" He challenged and I stared at him. "You don't have to keep promises for me all the time, babe." I replied but he shook his head. "Oh, but I do. Because it's the only thing keeping is together at the moment. For Erin." He said and I sighed typically. "That's sad, isn't it? A promise can't be the only thing keeping us together." I said hopefully, my heart breaking a little. "I just...sometimes I feel as if I don't know anymore. I feel like I don't know you, Niall. You've been a different person to me recently. You're not the same man I fell in love with when you were pregnant. You've changed." He admitted and my eyes started to water.

"I know, and for that, I truly am sorry. I just feel...so angry. All the time. And because of that, I get even more protective of Erin. It's like I'm falling apart because of her Liam and I don't know what to do." I finally broke down, tears spilling down my cheeks as I pressed my body against Liam's...burying my face in his chest. I could hear his heart beat against my ear and I let out a soft sigh as Liam wrapped his arms around me, pulling me close. I let out a content sigh, enjoying the sheer warmth of Liam's body radiating against my own.

I looked up and our lips met, Liam parting my lips open so that his tongue reached the roof of my mouth, making me moan softly as he cupped my face on either side if his hands. "I always remember we sat in this very spot...a year ago. You told me you were keeping Erin and I made my promise to you. Best decision I've ever made." Liam sniffed, his eyes shimmering as he looked me in the eye. I smiled, his warm breath against mine.

"Nothing's changed, has it?" I joked and he chuckled. "Nope. Nothing's changed."

___________

Thank you so much for all your lovely comments, they're wonderful! Hopefully they're aren't any spelling or grammar errors here because I haven't edited this yet xD Dedicated to ItzMeAllison because your little rant about the whole chapter just made me laugh. So thank you so much guys! Please leave more feedback, it'd really mean a lot :) mwah